HybridZ

Timing chain holder (head gasket swap) Q's

MJLamberson

So Im going to be putting in my new head gasket on monday or tuesday, but I have never done this before, I feel pretty confident and know about TDC and all that, I just dont know what to do about the timing chain during the process, I know that you have to keep it tight and not let it fall. I know there is a tool for this but I dont have time to buy one, A friend of mine who has done this before said he tried making one out of wood but it failed and he had to tear down the front of the engine... do you guys have any advice for me on this matter? pics of what the tool looks like, maybe I can jerry rig something up?

I've made a wedge out of MDF fiber board and it has worked well; as long as when you are knocking into place you don't force it in like its holding the world together.. Just make sure you attach a strong small eye bolt so when it comes time for removal, the wire you are using to pull it out doesn't break/come loose.. If you can make one out of Nylon plastic that should work well

Just find a screwdriver that will snugly fit down the timing cover. Make sure it's long enough to pull out (blade facing up).

If you don't have a wide enough one, wrap it in electrical tape.

Or go buy the right tool.

Or read the FSM, it has the dimensions in it.

(if not the FSM then the Haynes manual has it)

The chain tool serves two purposes:

1) keeping the tensioner from falling out or getting cocked

2) keeping the timing chain in a known position on the lower sprocket

Making a tool of your own is fine, so long as you use the proper shape to acheive 1) and 2) above. Tie wrapping the chain or shoving a screwdriver down there seems pretty risky to me, especially considering the correct tool only costs about $12 ( http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/TE/60-9921 ).

I've got one of the tools MSA offers. It's simply a piece of plastic that fits down between the chain at the very bottom and prevents the tensioner from pushing out too far. The piece of wood sits closer to the top and wedges itself between the guides to hold the chain and tensioner in place. Either one seem to work fine.

I'll second a wood wedge. I've used the MSA tool and it slipped while removing the head. I cut a piece of 2x4 into a wedge shape that fit between the guides, split it in two halves because it was too wide and put a hole in it for a string. With that I just tap it lightly in place between the chain before removing the sprocket and I've never had it fall through again.