HybridZ

What's the final vote for Scarab air filter?

4a15

First time post. I have searched the past posts but I am unable to find what I'm looking for. I've got a SBC in Scarab position. It's got a eddy performer intake and 650 eddy carb with an HEI sitting behind it. I have been running a cheap chopped up (and JB Welded) 14" air cleaner that has to go.

So, has anyone found the "best" air cleaner?

The Mr. Gasket 14" chrome air cleaner is identical to the air cleaner used on Scarabs. "Factory" Scarabs used an Edelbrock Torker intake with a Carter 9625 AFB.. Your intake should be about the same height (maybe a bit shorter) and the Edelbrock carb is the Carter AFB in new tooling. You might have to find a replacement air filter to get max height above the carb without hitting the inside of the hood. I think the Mr. Gasket comes with a 2"or 3"filter. I used about a 2.5"filter. See picturtes. But this will clear everything ... Oh, BTW, if you use the dropped base AND you have an electric choke on your carb, a little "dimpling" will be required.

Similar to Scarab155, I use a 14" air cleaner w/ a drop base on my Scarab setup. Sits on top of a Holley 4150 and Edelbrock Performer intake w/ a large GM HEI distributor. I'm able to use a 3" filter w/ no interference with the hood. Attached is pic of my setup for your reference.

Also, you may want to consider cold air options. I'll soon be fabricating a cold air setup using a Spectre low-profile intake plenum (P/N 98499).

Finally, there's a neat technique for checking clearance using tin foil. Just tape a ball of partially-crumpled tin foil on areas of questionable clearance....if any part of the foil gets crushed completely,you've got a clearance issue. If not, you're good to go!

engine bay_thumb.jpg

I believe the filter housing I have is the 14 inch "Spectra" with a 3" tall filter. The base clears everything on the carb except the elec choke. I tried to dimple the area over the choke but ended up cutting a hole and patching over to make it work.

I checked out the cold air kits. It looks like the 4" tall double inlet would fit if the inlet's angle downward from the base, I can't tell from the photo's I found.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Rooster --- The Summit # is MRG-1480 It's called a Mr. Gasket EasyFlow 14" ... As I mentioned before, if you have an electric choke on your Edelbrock (or earlier Carter) carb, AND you're using a dropped base, you need to "dimple" the area of the base around the electric choke. I used a ball peen hammer and it worked just fine. You should be using a "banjo" type fuel fitting on the carb to avoid any clearance issues with the dropped base. Summit also sells a nice metal line with fitting that clears nicely. # SUM-G1532 -- Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

4A15-

In case you're interested, I finally replaced my round carb-top air cleaner with a cold air system. No problems with hood clearance using the low profile air plenum. I plumbed it with 4" ducting and used a 9" cone filter mounted in front of the core support.

Just another option for your consideration...

JHM

Cold air intake1 - V8 Z car_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

bleakdragon-

I built my CAI mostly from Spectre Performance parts. I used their low-profile air intake plenum (PN 98499), their 4" ducting (PN 9751), and one of their large cone filters (PN 9738). They offer a big variety of modular cold air intake parts so you can build your system to meet your specific needs. Check out their website....it's pretty comprehensive, with dimensions and suggested retail for each of their products.

Since I'm such a tight-wad, I used a 4" 90 deg elbow from the plumbing section at Lowes ($4!) to connect my filter and ducting through the radiator core support. Amazing what you can find for your Z at the hardware store.

Good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

jhm

Edited by jhm
completeness

Too early to tell. Just installed it recently and haven't had much chance to drive it. I know of other installations where this intake has worked well. Happy to report back later after I know more.