HybridZ

Need Help! Electical Woes -

I'm having weird electrical problems. When the ignition is on accessory, everything in the car works - as soon as I try to start it, all the electrical in the car turns off. The battery is fully juiced. This problem started with the fuel pump. It wasn't turning on, so I went to test continuity at the pump - nothing at all - a big 0 volts. Now, every time I try to start it, there is a click/bang from the front of the car (starter side), and all the electricity goes dead.

Any ideas, its killing me!

Hi, thanks to all so far. The battery is old but I brought it to autozone today for a check and full charge. It checked out good and took a full charge. Weird things are definitely happening. The volt gauge in the car reads 12 volts (red charging light on) when the car is in "acc", when you turn to run it goes to 8 volts but still, all electric work. When you crank it it goes to -4. After sitting 5 minutes, it will be back to 12 volts "red charging light on". I've run the voltage meter and it is always 12 volts. Would anything so far result in no electricity to the fuel pump? The power line to the pump has 0 volts on the meter.

Triple check all of your grounds, I have seen this problem a million times and it almost always is a poor ground connection. You will have a ground connecting through a small piece of actual metal or corrosion, and when you go to pull 100 amps through it, it will literally melt off... That is the popping sound you are hearing (it works the same way a fuse does when you think about it).

It appears it was the starter solenoid. I took off the starter to bench test it (which it passed), but found a big crack in the solenoid - when I inspected further, it was cracked all the way thru and the bolt for the power side was just barely touching the terminal. I held it tight while someone turned over the car and, gloriously, no more electrical short.

However, with the good news, theres always bad - the fuel pump still has no power going to it. Took off the fuel pump to bench test it and found something off. When you take the top off and pull out those five very small cylinders, the motor works perfect in the pump...as soon as you put the five cylinders back in, the motor wont start. Any ideas? Also, I think I'm gonna start with the relay to see why theres no electricity back there.

It appears it was the starter solenoid. I took off the starter to bench test it (which it passed), but found a big crack in the solenoid - when I inspected further, it was cracked all the way thru and the bolt for the power side was just barely touching the terminal. I held it tight while someone turned over the car and, gloriously, no more electrical short.

However, with the good news, theres always bad - the fuel pump still has no power going to it. Took off the fuel pump to bench test it and found something off. When you take the top off and pull out those five very small cylinders, the motor works perfect in the pump...as soon as you put the five cylinders back in, the motor wont start. Any ideas? Also, I think I'm gonna start with the relay to see why theres no electricity back there.

:) Glad you found out what it was

When my fuel pump went out, one of the brushes was bad. If it landed on a specific part of the pump, it wouldn't start. I could rotate it by hand and it would start again though, and it would work until it stopped on that one point. Maybe try that?