HybridZ

A friend has passed.. :(

janaka

Well in my young life (26) I have been lucky thus far that not many people have left my life. Today I found out that an old friend from when I live in Nova Scotia has passed away. She, like me, was only 26yrs old. We met back in 1995 I think it was. We went to grade school together and were on the same Track and Field team for many years including the Nova Scotian Canada Games Team in 2001. We shared many life memories together doing something we both cherished. I have since moved away from NS and so had she. A friend, and a coach of ours from way back in the day wrote something and I just wanted to share it with you as he is better with words that I am currently.

Back in 1995 in my leaner (much leaner) and handsomer days, I was just

beginning my coaching 'career' in track and field. Helping my friend

Winston coach a high school team from last in the county to a perennial first

was a great thrill. Getting to shape all those young lives, sometimes we

forget that it's our lives getting shaped at the same time.

One of the first days of practice that I showed up, there was this tiny

little girl from Troy in the seventh grade trying out the triple jump. Very gangly,

all legs, not too fast i thought. Maybe a middle of the pack competitor.

But man she fought and tried harder and learned every day, and

the best part of all - for the life of me I can't forget - she was ALWAYS

smiling. Carly seemed to keep improving, setting new personal bests every

meet and ultimately, went on that year to win the junior girls

provincial title that year in the triple jump. For all you non trackies

out there, that's a hop, step and a jump.

A great athletic career was started...Carly went on to hold provincial

outdoor records in all the age group categories in Nova Scotia, representing

us very well at national championships and yes, smiling the whole time.

After a poor performance or a great performance, "How did things go today Carly?"

always got you a smile in return, and either "That felt great" or "Hmm I can do

a little better". That's the most negativity you ever got from this girl..I can

do a little better.

Fast forward to a few years later, Carly had a scholarship to University of

Maine for track and field. Unfortunately during her time there, it was discovered

that she had a brain tumor - cancer...had surgery and the cancer went into remission. That cancer was

gone. The next time I saw Carly I said wow, you look like a million dollars!

She smiled her usual beautiful smile and said "I feel fantastic"

Fast forward to last year, 2008. Carly's cancer had come back and she was the

guest of honor at the Cdn Cancer Society Relay for Life, an event that was already near and dear to

me. I said how are you feeling, Carly? I as always got the same great smile, and

positive, upbeat response. "I feel fantastic"

I wish I could stop the fast forward now, and slow down the cancer process. but I'm glad I found the pause button

long enough to get these thoughts down on paper to share with you all.

Carly is in the twilight of her young life, at 26 years old.

Carly Bunyan - the very first athlete I got to coach made me spoiled. It's cliche to say

"a contagious smile" I know, but it really is contagious, you automatically smile back.

I coach lots of talented athletes now...

and I think Carly has taught me that me and my athletes have to smile - win, lose or draw.

I will try to do a little better too Carly..I promise.

Please everyone, take some time to hop, step

and jump this week. Hug your kids, wave to your neighbours, take pride in a job well done,

set some goals and go get em. We're never too old or too young to get a personal best...

life is precious and far too short.

And don't forget to smile. BIG.

n599315573_6050897_678.jpg

Hop Skip and a Jump. RIP Carly.

Smile and tell someone you love them today.

Very touching story... I wish everyone the best who this loss will personally affect.

This kind of story scares the wholly crap out of me, as I'm in remission myself (4 yrs now). I hate it when I hear someone made it through the battle, then it comes right back and takes you out...

janaka, thanks for posting that story from Her Coach!!

RIP Carly.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I remember when I found out that she survived the first surgury and was just in shock then. Now to find out of the blue that it came back and the fight is over is just unreal. It makes me put things into perspective for sure, I thought having a kidney removed was a big deal this past Dec but this makes me feel silly for even having worried about it. I'm still in shock that the strong person I knew is gone so suddenly.

My condolences guys. My uncle died of a brain tumor. When the Dr's told him his odds were one in a million making it past 5yrs, my uncle responded without hesitation, "I'm that one". He made it past 7. And in the 20 years I've known him, he always had a positive attitude.

"attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference"

-- Winston Churchill

I think your friend lived that well. If anything, when the good ones pass on, it may be to show us how to live.