HybridZ

L4 And L6 Distributors?

MREDDLE

Are the datsun l4 and l6 distributors interchangable? I heard "somewere" that they are the same but with differant caps? I have a 78' 280z and I have pulled all my turbo things and standalone. I'm going back to try my webers again, so I need a distributor, on a budget. I want to use the E12-80 modual for ease of wiring. I don't remiber how to wire it and if there is any recommendations that anyone has please chime in. Thanks again.

So you have a 4 cylinder distributor and you want to use it on a 6 cylinder. You'd need to change out the breaker plate, or on your E12-80 model you'd need the correct stator and reluctor for a 6 cylinder.

After that you'd have issues because the turbo distributors don't have timing advance, and the E12-80 will have both mechanical and vacuum advance. You could lock all that down, but after all that trouble why not just find a turbo distributor???

Because the last 4 times I tried to buy one. Some ebay savy gent snake it in the last 1/20 of a second. I dont have any distributor at the moment. I was thinking about getting a 82+ dizzy and "making" it work. Is this possible? I like the slim profile.

I'm sorry if this is insulting, but you do realize that the name L4 applies to 4 cylinder Datsun engines like the L16, L18, and L20B, right? L24, L28, and L28 are all 6 cylinders L6 engines. Just want to make sure we're on the same page there. So you would want to start with an E12-80 distributor from a NA 280ZX most likely.

As far as your question goes, yes you can get spark from a 6 cyl E12-80 distributor on a turbo block. The issue you'll have is disabling the advance mechanisms, as I said before. That wouldn't be too hard to do. I'm also not sure if the stock ECU accounts for some degree of timing change, and if it needs to hook up to a turbo distributor to do so. That's something someone else could probably answer for you.

Yes I understand the differance between L4 and L6. The broblem I have is that I trashed my stock computer and distributor some time ago, in favor of my SDS distributorless ignition and fuel system. So this brings me to the present, I have no distributor and would like to spend ok money on good parts. I would also like to have a clean system with the lest amount of wiring.