HybridZ

280z heater isnt working

alright my 280z problems is having problems with the heater. There is no leaking, but no heat is coming out. I removed the floor panel on the passenger side and the mechanics in turning the levers is working. When I turn the heat on the correct door opens, but still no heat. I opened the hood of the car and felt the radiator, hot. I put my hands on the radiator hoses that were going to the heater, and noticed that the hose going to the heater was warm, but the one coming from the heater didn't have any heat or pressure in it at all.

What do you guys think?

Check all of your vacuum lines, especially the ones near the right shock tower. I bet you'll find cracks/leaks.

Mike

I have the same problem as the member above. What do you suggest we look for? I don't recall there being any vacuum lines around the right shock tower but I may just have removed them when I did my swap.

On the 78 at least, there are two magnet valves located near the right shock tower, just ahead of where the infamous fusable links are. Because of engine heat, etc. the vacuum hoses to these valves tend to crack. When they leak vacuum there is not enough to open or keep open the vacuum cock that allows the heated coolant through to the heater core. Thus, no heat. There are two water cocks in the system in the upper left passenger footwell. One is manually controlled by the heater levers, the other is vacuum controlled by the vacuum selector valve. That's the best I can expain it. You might want to consult a service manual.

Good luck,

Mike

As best as I can tell, the lever is mechanical

I took apart the floor console on the passenger side and i made sure that all the levers work. I didn't get a look at everything from the lever, but I thought it was mechanical after looking at it.

I actually dont know what a shock tower is. How about I take some pics of my engine in the morning from different angles, and you circle what I'm looking for?

ha ha

I = noob

Oh, there is a vacuum tube coming out of the firewall right above the radiator hoses that are going to the heater, and it just sticks out and doesnt lead anywhere. If thats the problem, than I need to get another hose and figure out exactly where that is going.