HybridZ

RIPS 240z drifts to 8.05 @ 172 mph

RIPSNZ

Does depend on the place you get it from but Octane is not how are fuel is rated but RON which put the Octane less than the figure on the RON scale I believe. But generally the full we get here in NZ is as follow

91 RON (regular unleaded)

95 RON (super unleaded)

98 RON (premium unleaded - limited locations) - this is what Rob is running I believe

Race Gas/Av Gas (not road legal as it has Lead in it and no road taxes) 105-115 RON (depends on the gas really and the $$ spent)

So our 98 would be like 93-95 Octane I believe. So yes we have crap fuel here not like the nice high Octane you can get in Japan etc.

Damn, so the bottom end is stock??? WOW
Well I think there are different pistons remember this is a RB30DET ie RB30 bottom end with RB26DETT head so a custom piston would be required for the correct CR. But all other parts are bone stock RB30e parts, crank (no mods), rods (no mods) I think it will have good bearings and assume the rotating mass has been balanced you know standard stuff when you build an engine.

I am sure Rob could clear this up but I think I am correct. So this does go to show that the stock rods are good for the power :) who needs $$ I or H beams when stock units are up to the task. Also those that say you can't rev a RB30 bottom end I think Rob has proved this wrong time and time again with his shops engines, he pulls this one to 9500rpm. However this is a drag car/engine so 9500rpm on a circuit might be a different story but then who would want to circuit race a car with over 1000hp that would be insane.

I better clear the rod thing up before it gets out of hand.

A customer has run his totally stock internal RIPS RB30 bottom end to 900-1000hp and then had a ring land crack, not sure if it was tuning or just bad luck but it was run at 750-800hp for a long time before he decided to wind it up and find some limits.

However, my 240z motor has forged pistons and billet I beam rods.

The block, crank, cradle, mains bolts etc are all stock though.

I assure you its not just a matter of chucking some pistons and rods into a stock RB30 bottom end and getting it to live at 1300hp and 9500-10,000 rpm though, there's ALOT more to it but I'll probably die with that info.

Rob

Rob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you stated that you tore the motor apart and put it back together again without any mods or parts replacement because it needed nothing???

Yes, thats mostly correct, I built the motor with forged pistons and billet rods right from the start.......then......

AFTER the end of the first season of racing, I pulled the sump off it and checked the bearings and they were all like new, the pistons have never been out of the bore since it was built about 18 months ago when we first built the car and everything was so mint I just put the sump back on and carried on from there, its only just had its first ever set of new spark plugs!!

So in that interview, I didn't mean I pulled apart a 20 year old stock short block, checked it, found it to be mint and put it back together and have been running that the whole time in the 240z.

Rob

Yes, thats mostly correct, I built the motor with forged pistons and billet rods right from the start.......then......

AFTER the end of the first season of racing, I pulled the sump off it and checked the bearings and they were all like new, the pistons have never been out of the bore since it was built about 18 months ago when we first built the car and everything was so mint I just put the sump back on and carried on from there, its only just had its first ever set of new spark plugs!!

So in that interview, I didn't mean I pulled apart a 20 year old stock short block, checked it, found it to be mint and put it back together and have been running that the whole time in the 240z.

Rob

Ahh... okay. Well, I'm still impressed as hell!!

What kind of "petrol" you guys runnin down under????

Most places in the states 93 oct is the best you can get. there are places you can get 100 oct but they are not common.

Try the local airport.

They will sell you up to 110. Just tell em it's for your boat.

Well the weather looks good for this weekend.

We are in the finals of the NZ Nationals (finals cancelled last time due to getting dark) and I"m up against a Sports compact car meaning I have to give him a 0.8 second head start which sucks cause I usually only run around 0.4 quicker than him, but at worst I'll still be 2nd. :-D

After that run is done, we have another full days competition so I should get plenty of runs all going well.

We've added the extra fuel pump and the bigger injectors and been back on the dyno, last time we could hold it "ok" and were at around 1100whp at 28psi, with the boost turned up to about 35psi we got massive tyre shake on the dyno for the first time ever, the poor tyres were distorting badly and trying to rip themselves off the rims, I suppose in a way thats a good sign?? :lol::lol:

Anyway, we have it sorted so we can really lay on some power just after I grab 2nd (about 1.5 seconds into the run at around 80 feet out) so as long as I'm not all out of shape at that point we should be ok, lol.

Man I want that 7 bad........

Rob