HybridZ

Installing a 240sx tank in a 72 240z. need advice.

I'm installing a 240sx tank in a 240z because im running efi setup and the stock tank is rusted and i have a 240sx tank. if anyone has done this before please chime in. i need some advice because i am going to attempt it tomorrow night after work. does it just drop in, or do i need to cut or hammer anything? how about the filler neck? thank you so much!:icon42:

i've been searching but cant find much info. just a guy who said he did it, but never posted pics or info like he said he would. i guess i will just have to do this and hope for the best. does anyone know the stock thread type on the drain plug for the 240z? i will get a 90 degree fitting as a backup incase this 240sx tank doesn't work. I have a race this weekend, so the car has to run. I only have 2 nites to fix the fuel starving problem.

i've been searching but cant find much info. just a guy who said he did it, but never posted pics or info like he said he would. i guess i will just have to do this and hope for the best. does anyone know the stock thread type on the drain plug for the 240z? i will get a 90 degree fitting as a backup incase this 240sx tank doesn't work. I have a race this weekend, so the car has to run. I only have 2 nites to fix the fuel starving problem.

I've just cut up a 240sx tank and thought about that. I took measurements and here's my opinion. The two tanks have a similar shape, but the SX tank is much wider and a bit longer. If your need is an in-tank fuel pump mounted in a sump that will probably alleviate if not out right cure fuel starvation then I suggest the following: 1. The cheap route is to cut off the top of the 240sx tank and mount it on the 240Z or 2. take the high end road and install an ATI "black box" in your existing tank. Some one on this forum sold the mounting ring needed.

I simply installed the 240sx pump into my 240Z tank. Search this forum for the process. It's been done and if you have both tanks out and before you, it can be done in about 3 hours, counting clean up and guzzle time.

Wash tanks with soap/detergent not solvent. Tape all openings, but one vent on top. Fill tank with CO2 or fill with water up to one inch of top vent and toss in a few small chunks of dry ice. Cut tank with cut off blade on an angle grinder. Check insurance before beginning, kiss the wife/girl friend/significant other goodbye, and commence mixing vapors with sparks or flame. You might survive.

What I am saying is: don't rush into this work. Make sure both tanks are dry and vapor free. Gas vapors are heavier than air and will sink to the lowest part of the tank and stay there.... for a long time. You need to purge them.

z

Edited by zgeezer
re-read previous post

You can also have the tank boiled at the radiator shop prior to any cutting or welding.

Piping in a bit of co2/argon from a welding bottle works too. One more thing, don't do this is an enclosed environment unless it is a very large building. A lack of oxygen comes on quickly and with little warning. Passing out or worse could be a serious possibility.

Wash tanks with soap/detergent not solvent. Tape all openings, but one vent on top. Fill tank with CO2 or fill with water up to one inch of top vent and toss in a few small chunks of dry ice. Cut tank with cut off blade on an angle grinder. Check insurance before beginning, kiss the wife/girl friend/significant other goodbye, and commence mixing vapors with sparks or flame. You might survive.

What I am saying is: don't rush into this work. Make sure both tanks are dry and vapor free. Gas vapors are heavier than air and will sink to the lowest part of the tank and stay there.... for a long time. You need to purge them.

z

Thats just classic :2thumbs: