HybridZ

Can't get it to idle above 500rpm.

I washed the car the other day at the self serve car wash and ran the power sprayer into the fender wells and along the undercarriage. I never touched the engine. I start the car up and now it won't idle above 500rpm. You press the gas and it takes a few seconds for it to start accelerating. It was idleing at a perfect 750rpm. I hear a hissing noise coming from my intake. I don't know what the problem is. I checked all my hoses and there is nothing wrong.

I washed the car the other day at the self serve car wash and ran the power sprayer into the fender wells and along the undercarriage. I never touched the engine. I start the car up and now it won't idle above 500rpm. You press the gas and it takes a few seconds for it to start accelerating. It was idleing at a perfect 750rpm. I hear a hissing noise coming from my intake. I don't know what the problem is. I checked all my hoses and there is nothing wrong.

Hey-

If you are hearing a hissing noise and it won't idle, you probably have a vacum leak. Find out where the hissing is coming from and I will bet that is your leak. Or perhaps the door in your Air Flow Meter is hanging up, not fully closing which is the hissing air that you are hearing.

79 280zx

I got it to idle up to 750rpm. Went through all the hoses nothing. I am for sure the noise is coming from the intake itself because I stuck my ear next to it. Now the hissing is quieter, you are probably right about the afm. I took it out checked it and put it back in. Now when i try to accelerate she bogs down and sputters. She doesn't accelerate past 2000rpm. I looked down at the manifold and I think that the second half of the mainfold seperated slightly because it looks like it has a gap now. I will examine it closer when it cools down. Could that be what is bogging it down?

Like Nismopick said, check the TPS. If you search my user name and "TPS" you'll find a thread I wrote when something similar happened to me on my 1980 ZX. I *was* washing the engine bay though.... A simple hair dryer and 15 minutes of time will dry it out and should work good as new, if that's the case.

Also, check your air filter housing to see if water got in maybe?

Good luck!

Dry the AFM. It can get wet as well. Very typical. It has a square black cover about 3x3 inches. Remove and dry off the inards.

Oh.. And don't wash the engine that way again. PITA sorting out water/electrical issues.

Scott.