HybridZ

Need Help with SR20 Wiring

Installing a SR20DET - well its actually already in and looking sexy - but now i have the headache of wiring. I am trying to install the stock harness and tap into the needed areas of the stock harness but i have no idea which plug is for what. what is the best way of figuring what all these wires go to? Is there some thread somewhere out there that talks in detail about this. I dont mind reading, I just need something.

• Administrators
Is there anything around that is more n00b friendly?

There are only a few wires you'll connect into the stock harness.

The Haynes manuals have fair schematics (small but usable).

The factory service manuals are quite good.

Page 20 of the EFI bible would probably suffice.

There is enough info posted on this forum to figure it out.

Choose your flavor.

There are only a few wires you'll connect into the stock harness.

The Haynes manuals have fair schematics (small but usable).

The factory service manuals are quite good.

Page 20 of the EFI bible would probably suffice.

There is enough info posted on this forum to figure it out.

Choose your flavor.

which few wires would i be connecting to the stock harness?

• Administrators
which few wires would i be connecting to the stock harness?

Like any project, you need tools to do the job. Tools also include information (schematics, for example). Additionally, projects require at least some understanding of what needs to be done. If you're going to retrofit an EFI system, you need to know the basics, at minimum. If you do not understand the basics, put the tools away and start reading.

I dont mind reading.

It's time to get serious about that statement. You've been given a hint on where to start. Here's another... the stock ('75) EFI system is more primitive, but still functions very similarly. Spend some time with the EFI Bible (search). When you get a grip on the sub-systems, and how they're wired, you'll have a foundation to help you understand the SR's sub-systems. You'll find they are alike in many way's. More importantly, you'll gain an understanding. This will help you integrate the new with the old, increase your odds of a trouble free installation, help you with future modifications, and help with future troubleshooting. You won't regret the investment.

Don't misunderstand, we don't mind answering specific questions, but we're not going to install it for you. We would rather you learn how to fish, than to give you a fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't misunderstand, we don't mind answering specific questions, but we're not going to install it for you. We would rather you learn how to fish, than to give you a fish.

What RTz and the rest of the people on this forum mean to say is they are all jerks and rather lead people to thinking that they are smarter then you when in fact they are not. If they had any real useful knowledge and had any real desire to help they really would. Fact is every thread you find on this site is someone asking something and a forum member telling you to search and calling you stupid.

But to actually be of assistance, here is a wiring diagram that spells out what you need to hook up from the SR harness. I will send a link to you through a personal message. I don't want to share it with these jerks. They can continue to know nothing and share nothing.

• Administrators

Yeup. He’s right. Ron, myself, and I quote,

the rest of the people on this forum ...
... we don’t share anything, EVER! We only horde info for ourselves. Were just selfish pigs and probably should have our internet license's revoked!oink.gif

Please oh please wise one, please continue to announce your ever so wise choice to not share, but only act as you are calling the rest of us. spaccio.gif That will only help expedite the inevitable demise of this forum since it started in early 2000, for not being a helping resourceful group of performance Datsun enthusiasts… faint.gif

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators

What RTz and the rest of the people on this forum mean to say is they are all jerks and rather lead people to thinking that they are smarter then you when in fact they are not.

I've had bad day's. I've been a little terse from time to time. Despite my efforts, I've posted technical errors on occasion. I'm far from perfect. But, in nearly 1600 posts, one thing I've NEVER done is call someone a jerk or any other colorful schoolyard adjective. Yet, in your self-declared benevolence, you've managed to accomplish it in on your fifth post. Impressive. And severely out of line.

I gave icapture advice that I felt was more valuable than telling him to connect the red wire to the green one. You're most welcome to dismiss that advice in a courteous manor. You are NOT welcome to make personal attacks. Don't do that again.

But to actually be of assistance, here is a wiring diagram that spells out what you need to hook up from the SR harness. I will send a link to you through a personal message. I don't want to share it with these jerks. They can continue to know nothing and share nothing.

And how will he know when you give him the wrong schematic? Is it after his car doesn't start or is after it burns to the ground? Yes, there is more than one harness/ECU/schematic. If, on the other hand, icapture takes my advice seriously, his odds increase dramatically of recognizing a disparity. That is just one of the many reason's I suggested learning more before diving in. If that makes me a villain, so be it.

• 3 weeks later...
And how will he know when you give him the wrong schematic? Is it after his car doesn't start or is after it burns to the ground? Yes, there is more than one harness/ECU/schematic. If, on the other hand, icapture takes my advice seriously, his odds increase dramatically of recognizing a disparity. That is just one of the many reason's I suggested learning more before diving in. If that makes me a villain, so be it.

QFT. When playing with modified cars that makes lots of power, lots of heat, lots of electricity and contain lots of combustible gasoline, it's best that your knowledge exceeds your car's alterations. Not the other way around.

As a regular member on here, to explain to new subscribers about the nature of this forum: It is NOT a chat site. This is a resource. A library no more contains as many copies of a particular book as people who have read that book there than this site wanting 1,473 threads on a specific question because 1,473 people needed to know the answer to the question.

You can get the SR20 pinout on many forums, but you need to know if it's S13 or S14. S14 has a notch on the back of the valve cover. S13 is straight.

Make sure you know what series motor you have. Also, If you take the time to learn how the car is wired and how the electronics on the engine work, You will be able to wire anything into anything and that my friend is freedom.:mrgreen: Trust me, the initial learning curve is worth it.