HybridZ

garage situation advice needed!

zclubhouse

Calling all hybridz members who have some much needed wisdom on this matter! Finishing school in may and getting married in june. Been looking for places to live (in indianapolis where my fiance will go to med school) and I am trying to decide what to do about the garage/z situation. Basically I can rent a place with a decent garage on average for $150 more than a comparable place w/o a garage. Obviously I need a place to keep the car, but a good friend offered to clean out the back bay of his garage for me to keep my car/tools in free of charge in exchange for helping him with fab/wiring work on his car. But my friends place is a solid hour commute from indy. So do I try and stretch the budget and get the garage in these shaky times... wait until we can move into a better place in a year or so... what to do? How to balance the commuting costs/ wifey complaining at me being gone with the car a few nights a week at the distant garage vs. killing the extra car parts budget for a year and renting a place with a garage? Im sure some of you guys have gone through the same thing with getting married and getting a new living situation. (selling the z is NOT an option!) Thankfully she is cool with the car being the third family member (we are driving away from the wedding in it:lol:!) So what do you guys think? How did you work the car/garage into the equation when you first started out? Obviously money is going to be tight (fed school loan bill just came in the mail :cuss: ) and I'm trying to make the wisest choice. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I would store it at your buddy's place. You don't NEED to have the car within 5 minutes of you at all times, it's just more convenient. You also don't NEED to work on the car, it's just fun to do so, since I'm assuming it's not your DD. Doesn't sound like it is. IMO, the extra charge for a place with a garage sounds like a luxury fee in this case just to keep your Z close.

I would store it at your buddy's place. You don't NEED to have the car within 5 minutes of you at all times, it's just more convenient. You also don't NEED to work on the car, it's just fun to do so, since I'm assuming it's not your DD. Doesn't sound like it is. IMO, the extra charge for a place with a garage sounds like a luxury fee in this case just to keep your Z close.

Thats true. Obviously its pretty sweet to be able to step out into the personal haven for a hour every now and then, but nothing is lost if the car sits for a while. And being at school prepared me for the concept of limited tinkering time. But I still miss it, I can amuse myself by the hour just poking around in my personal kingdom. Nothing beats the feeling of finishing the 6th one and realizing you have just spent 4 hours and accomplished about 30 minutes worth of work :cheers: haha

Well when I first got married, my first apartment had outdoor parking only. I daily drove it in the summer, and parked it in storage for the winters. Time..1 year

I got my first house a year later with a huge driveway, and no garage. I still stored the car during winter. Time 5 years

Long story short

Moved to another house no garage. Car still winter stored, and I bought a good car cover as the car was no longer a daily driver. Time 2 years. (car as seen in my sig)

Moved to house with 1 car garage. I was in heaven. Time 2 years

Moved to house with big 2 car dream garage. Died and gone to heaven again. Time..hopefully forever.

To sum it up. If the car is not a DD, store it on the cheap, and get yourself established. Then have fun with the car. Failed relationships strain Z budgets. (don't ask)

Scott.

I think it depends on how often you are planning on making the 1hr commute to the Z. If its rarely then I'd store it, if its every other day the cost in gas to get there and back will add up quickly and eat into that $150/mnth savings.

I'm with Scott though on the whole.

My one car usable garage is great and the 3 car garage I'm planning to build and attach my wife's house to will be heaven. lol