HybridZ

82 5 speed into 72 240

Guest Anonymous

It's a bolt up - except for 2 things:

• [*]
The shifter hole may need to be opened up (forwards) and the console may not fit anymore. I'm not positive on when the switch-over occured - this isn't an issue on some 240Zs. On my 71, it was. You need the shifter for that trans also.[*]Clutch fork/slave cyl. If you have the ZX slave, then use that, otherwise, if you use the 240 slave, you'll likely need to put the 4spd fork in the 5spd. I used my 240 slave and the 4spd fork on mine.[/list:u:47e54d127c]Otherwise, it's just a straight-forward R&R job - should take maybe 8 hours max.

I second Jeronimo, but the shifter on a ZX is nearly straight up and down and the early car is bent. The distance between the pivot and the plastic bushing in the trans was different on the 4 and 5 speeds so I had to cut and weld the two shifters together for one that fit and looked right/worked well. I originally bent the ZX shifter in the shape of the 4 speed shifter, but IMO it was WAY too short. My 72 240 already had the 73 and up style slave and fork. This is an easy swap that you will really like.

Make sure you use the SAME pressure plate/throwout bearing collar combination! Nissan made three different pressure plates for the Z cars with different diaphragm finger heights. To compensate for the different finger height, the throwout bearing collar (the cylindrical part the throwout bearing is pressed into) came in three different heights.

Since the throwout bearing collar typically comes with the junk yard tranny you can upset the critical dimension of pressure plate finger height plus the throwout bearing collar length.

The result is either not having enough clutch engagement range (or too little). And you do not know this until after the tranny swap is done!

To prevent this from occurring just consider the pressure plate and throwout bearing collar as an assembly. If you re-using your present pressure plate just remove the throwout bearing collar from your old transmission and re-use it as well.

This is a very common problem when swapping Z transmissions. Lots of people (yours truly included) have done this and a lot of people who luck out and do not have a problem after a swap are not aware of this potential problem.