HybridZ

Project finished, how do you feel and what you do ?

DavD3

Well,it’s kinda long….. I think I finished my project few days ago. There is few small things which I need to add but $100.00 don’t count against 9 years and thousands of dollars which I spend on my 240z. I started project long time ago and now car drives and handles great, although it’s not the fastest car on the street. I did 0-60 6.3 sec and 1/4 mile 14.85 with G-tech on the street but traffic in front was an issue. After I adjusted timing it feels quicker and revs happier to 6500 RPM, so I think it will do 6.0 sec 0-60 and mid 14 in 1/4 mile. Here is all modifications I did for the last several years. Keep in mind that my 240z was in garage or in shop 99% of all this time, so the list of parts on the car is either new or has little bit more than 1500 miles on it.:

Rebuilt and ballanced L28 N42 .5mm overbore, flat top pistons

E88 ( ’71 ) head with N47 valves, ported and polished, 5 angle job.

MSA stage 2 cam ( Lift (In/Ex): .480/.480. Duration (In/Ex): 274/274.)

Turbo L28 oil pump

'71 flywheel ( 18 lbs )

Jet hot coated MSA headers

MSA 2 1/2 turbo exhaust

Ztherapy SU carbs,

K&N air filter in original air box

NOS fuel pump

N36 intake

280zx distributor

MSD ignition coil

105amp High Output Alternator

4 row MSA radiator with two electric fans ( 14' and 10'with thermostat housing switch at 180 degrees )

New water pump

8 mm NGK blue spark plug wires

5 speed close ratio transmission ( from Pierre Z )

New clutch

R180 4.11 NISMO LSD

Eibach springs with tociko non adjastable shoks

Every bushing is new, all polyurethane ,but rack and pinion.

New tie rods and ball joints

ST sway bars front and rear.

MSA strut bars F / R

Toyota 4x4 non vent. but cross drilled rotors in front, original in the rear.

Steel braded brake lines F / R

Update clock, yes it works :)

New interior with Mazda RX7 GSL SE seats installed

New Lexus white diamond paint with new MSA weatherstrip kit

H4 light

15' swastika rims on 205/15/60 tires

21869940003_medium.jpg

So after all this I am happy. My car is not the fastest and it’s not the slowest car on the street. I cannot really win any race against new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, AMG, BMW ,Evo X, Subary WRX, even 370Z ets. When I started the project I wanted to go N/A and at that time majority of the production car had different 0-60 and ¼ mile time. Now all automakers make faster cars. It becomes more expensive to keep your Z on the same level of performance and comfort which new sports cars offer now. Well, due to financial situation I won’t be changing anything right now ( even though I would love to buy Rebello 3.0 ) and enjoy 240z the way it is. Problem is I can drive car only on the weekends because during weekdays I use my Montero Sport it is better car for everyday driving, has a/c, more comfortable. So I am sitting today here after I drove my Z for 20 minutes and think was it worth it? Well, yes it was worth it, but reality is driving car only 30 minutes on Sundays two-three times in month…. I don’t know. My question is how do you guys feel and what do you do ( or will do ) after your project is finished? If you drive it every day I understand it’s different. I also know that there is always something else which we want to do in our Z. But let’s say you finished your project, what is next? Happiness? Garage queen? Fun car ? Sell it? Enjoy the ride once in … ? Keep it forever? I saw several times people were selling their car right after it was finished. Let me know how do you feel and what you do.

I have asked myself this very question a few times so far. I just started my project, took the hood off for the first time last night. I don't have any answers and have subscribed to this thread. My "plans" are to have a fun nice day / weekend car, that I can go to shows with or nice long drives to the ocean and whatnot.

My car is alway finished....in the Springtime. By the time Autumn rolls around, the upgrade wheels start turning...and it goes back on the jackstands for Winter.

Seasons of the Z.

- (Spring) Finished

- (Summer) Enjoy

- (Fall) Plan the next mods

- (Winter) Jackstands

Repeat for as long as you can. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. This weekend I drove my Z about 200 miles to nowhere. There is NO better therapy.

Seasons of the Z.

- (Spring) Finished

- (Summer) Enjoy

- (Fall) Plan the next mods

- (Winter) Jackstands

Seasons of the Z [in the southwest]:

- (Spring) Enjoy

- (Summer) Enjoy/Sweat

- (Fall) Enjoy

- (Winter) Enjoy

Seasons of the Z [in the southwest]:

- (Spring) Enjoy

- (Summer) Enjoy/Sweat

- (Fall) Enjoy

- (Winter) Enjoy

beat me to it.

anyway, if you have it finished drive it!!! isnt that the entire reason you fixed it in the first place?