HybridZ

What is the biggest V8 swap installed in a Z?

wizern23

I was planning on doing a V8 swap after i buy a z and has it as a project stretched across a few years for money issues and was wondering whats the biggest v8 engine that has been put in 1970-1976 z. I don't care about the hood clearance because I'm not going to stay with the stock hood. I was also hoping to buy custom engine mounts so that it will sit lower when i start on the swap when i go to college. I want it to be a drag/street car so high hp and torque is a must. I was hoping along the lines of truck engines to set it apart from the LS engines.

I test fitted a merlin 9.4 liter (572) and it went right in.

It seems the ford modular engine is damn wide and you might have trouble fitting it.

I've seen the caddy 500/501 in a 910 maxima and I really love that pic of the 472 but your choice may depend on availability of parts since that pic above probably has most every performance part made for the caddy engine in one place.

From your suggestions im leaning to the Chevy 572 engine but would like to know more about the merlin 9.4 liter. since you that its very wide what would actually have to be done to put it in, do you have any pics of one, and where could i get one if i do choose to go with it?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone put anything bigger then a 350 in a z31? I was planning ..well dreaming of putting a 454 in my 89 Z31 after bootcamp and school. I know its gonna take alot of work but it would be worth it. If the motor some how sqeezed its way in the car what kind of rear end should i go with?