HybridZ

HELP!!! Need taller gears sbc350turbo350 76z

I have a 76 sbc z with a turbo 350 and that sucker is screaming on the high way and I think it would be an easier job to change the final drive than change tranny. I can only find one company that sells one and i am pretty sure it will not even fit http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Kameari-R200-Final-Gear-Set-S30-Z31-R30-R31-58311 . I have the 3.56 stock and was wondering if you guy have any ideas

Define "screaming." I can cruise about 60 at 3000 rpms with 26" tire and 3.54 rear and a loose 8" converter. You could get a gear vendors overdrive unit. I would try a taller tire or a tighter converter. Your transmission or converter could also be slipping. Do some calculations and see what rpm it SHOULD be at the certain mph.

easier to switch to a 200r-4 or 700r.

I helped a friend install a dana44 from a 80 corvette into a Z. A lsd diff with 2.87 gears. with a thm350 trans it still ran 3000 rpm at 75 or 80 mph and feels a little doggy in 1st and 2nd due to the high gears. plus it was a trick to get the vette diff in the stock location. cover mods, 1/2 shaft mods, front mount fab.

he recently switched to a 200r4 trans. we just had to move the trans mount and adjust the shifter and set up the TV cable on the carb. drive shaft was the same. now he is in the process of getting new 3.55 gears in the vette diff so 1st and 2nd feel stronger.

i would go 5 spd manual. automatics suck in a z.

use a GM t5 with a 3.90 gear. works great!!!

easier to switch to a 200r-4 or 700r.

Agreed.

automatics suck in a z.

No they don't. I have driven V8 Z cars with automatics and they are great from my experience. They also have 700R4 or 200R-4 automatics and work extremely well with the 4th (overdrive) gear. This guy may want an auto and there's really nothing wrong with that, especially for his intended use. The whole setup needs to work together: engine, transmission, rear gears, even the size of tires--you must take it all into account when building a car.

...use a GM t5 with a 3.90 gear. works great!!!

Good to know, thanks :D That's what I have going in right now. I'll see how the 3.90 is with the T5 and if I don't like it, I'll swap in the 3.54 VSLD.

Davy

I have a 3.36 rear end. I am swapping a 3,9 into it. I have a 3.54 too twhat I would do if I were not wanting to change tranny is 2 inch taller tires and 3.36 you can call me for either rear end 615-573-1990 the 3.36 is a 180 and may not take a ton of torque with sticky tires but should be fine other than that I am changing it because I am making 498 hp and 533 torque with stickys it will DDDDDDIIIIIEEEEE! I have the half shafts too

Agreed.

No they don't. I have driven V8 Z cars with automatics and they are great from my experience. They also have 700R4 or 200R-4 automatics and work extremely well with the 4th (overdrive) gear. This guy may want an auto and there's really nothing wrong with that, especially for his intended use. The whole setup needs to work together: engine, transmission, rear gears, even the size of tires--you must take it all into account when building a car.

Good to know, thanks :D That's what I have going in right now. I'll see how the 3.90 is with the T5 and if I don't like it, I'll swap in the 3.54 VSLD.

Davy

sounds like a good idea but is there any fabracating needed to install a t5 and do you think the drive shaft from the th350 slash r200 will bolt to the t5

ps I have the 180 moustache bar too but If it were my car i would put a 200 4r in it it will bolt to the same driveshaft you already have as it is the same length and has the same spline count ,and is .63 od I believe

hey thanks will look into the 700r4 and it would be great to have od would you say it is hevier than the th350 and any clearence problems in the tranny tunnel and not realy wanting to put a 180r in my z still shooting for around 400 to the wheels thanks.

sounds good what you want for it?

It's not cheap because it's uber rare and I paid just over $800 after shipping, if I recall, and people agree I got a fantastic deal on it. I'll try to remember to look you up if/when it goes up for sale.

sounds like a good idea but is there any fabracating needed to install a t5 and do you think the drive shaft from the th350 slash r200 will bolt to the t5

The 200R-4 transmission will bolt in and be the same length as the TH350 tranny. You won't have to have the driveshaft resized or anything. If you put in the T5, you will have to have the driveshaft shortened (if memory serves). Try searching the topics in the forum and you'll probably find the answer you are looking for. There's gold in the archives.

Davy

The 200R-4 transmission will bolt in and be the same length as the TH350 tranny. You won't have to have the driveshaft resized or anything. If you put in the T5, you will have to have the driveshaft shortened (if memory serves). Try searching the topics in the forum and you'll probably find the answer you are looking for. There's gold in the archives.

Davy

thanks ,I think I would rather try a 700r4 instead of the 200r4 i heard they are not as strong.

I'd think twice about a 200-4. I bought 82 Z28 in 83 (now the ex's) 305 150 hp. The tranny went out a couple of years later. Got it fixed with a lifetime replacement. It's on #4, and its going south. Thats with over 10 years of driveway quiet time.

There's a kit for the 700-4 that they say it will take 500hp. I don't know about the driveshaft yet, but I figure I'll have to have it worked on.

My 3.36 r180 clsd couldn't take 400hp. a shift kit and a slapstick.

I'm not a young man ,and if I never step on a clutch again that would be nice.

My .02 Randy

i would go 5 spd manual. automatics suck in a z.

QUOTE]

I dont' agree with this statement either. For one thing sticks can't handle that much TQ, about 600 lb-ft max using the TKO trans, otherwise its about 300 to 400lb ft. Auto's can handle that and alot more. On a cost basis the manual trans is going to cost alot by the time you get a flywheel, clutch, scattershield, etc. and the overdrive auto is costly as well so it is a toss up IMO if your anywhere near 400 to 500lb-ft of TQ. If he were to get a 3.15 or even in the 3.30 range it will drop his rpm by about 500 to 250 rpm at cruising speed respectively. So 2500 rpm at cruising is alot better than 3000. Gear vendors overdrive units are big $$$ too.

As for being doggy in the first two gears, then it seems obious that the engine is underpowered and/or the stall speed in the converter is too low, especially in a light z.