HybridZ

Photos of 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD CV Joints!

strokerzedd

I purchased a 300ZX 88SS Shiro Viscous LSD Differential with CV joints several years ago from a wreckers way down south and only now am attempting to install the CV joints. My 1972 240z has undergone a complete rebuild once again: suspension/coilovers/fuel cell and surge tank, a seriously tweaked RB26. I cannot get these halfshafts in and I wonder if I was sent the wrong ones, perhaps for the 1988 300zx turbo? I can't find photos of the 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD CV joints anywhere on the net and I know that they're specific to this model only. Does anyone have photos? In the enclosed photos are the two silver CV joints that were sent to me with the 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD as well as the left side 1988 300zx Turbo CV joint. The longer silver CV joint halfshaft is the right side, but the groove for the spring clip was very shallow and wouldn't allow the spring clip to sit flush with the spline surface so I ground the groove deeper, to no avail. Any ideas, anyone?

12808_thumb.attach

12809_thumb.attach

300zx turbo left CV_thumb.jpg

12811_thumb.attach

VLSD 1_thumb.jpg

12813_thumb.attach

Z in shop-removing 3.1 litre_thumb.jpg

12815_thumb.attach

I do believe that the 88SS CV axles have a 30 spline count as aposed to the 29 which all R200's have except for the 88SS. So if it has 29 you got the wrong axles. I just picked up an 88SS vlsd with axles last monday and I can post some pics on here later tonight if you'd like and confirm that you have the correct axles.

Both types of halfshafts I have in the photos have 29 splines. But I do have a favor to ask of you since you have a VLSD and halfshafts. My longer halfshaft, the right side, had a much shallower groove for the spring clip than the shorter left side (I cut it deeper in an attempt to get it to fit, hope I didn't screw it up). Is yours the same and is the spring clip on the longer shaft thinner than the shorter shaft? The spline ends are different on my longer and shorter halfshafts, one is blunt and the other tapered. Are yours the same?

I asked this question on another thread as well, probably not supposed to but I wasn't sure where to get the best responses, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1002630#post1002630 and Z240 confirmed that mine were the right halfshafts and J. Soileau RB26zcar said that he has had the same diff in his car for awhile. If you can post some close up photos that would be great, especially of the spring clips and grooves and the ends of the halfshaft spline.

Thanks for the photos J. When I received my VLSD the right spring clip was already in the diff and the vendor reminded me to take it out before assembly. A friend of mine just emailed me and told me that his VLSD right spring clip is in the diff as well. Your photo of the right halfshaft doesn't have the clip on it. Should the clip stay in the diff and we simply insert the halfshaft through it? That would explain the shallow groove for the spring clip on that side. If this is the case how come it isn't common knowledge or did I just miss the memo?

J. does the VLSD work well for you in your application? Can it handle your horsepower?

Sorry to say but you have one of *two* remaining NOS axles shafts in existence. I have only one, but it is the proprietary longer one of the two. The other one (left side) is fairly common.

*that was said with a smile and a wink, not sarcastically as it may sound!