HybridZ

RB26 240z with 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD Diff CV joints

strokerzedd

I apologize if this is the wrong venue but I'm hoping one of you has also put a VLSD in your RB26 powered 240z. I purchased a 300ZX 88SS Shiro Viscous LSD Differential with CV joints several years ago from a wreckers way down south and only now am attempting to install the CV joints. My 1972 240z has undergone a complete rebuild once again: suspension/coilovers/fuel cell and surge tank, a seriously tweaked RB26. I cannot get these halfshafts in and I wonder if I was sent the wrong ones, perhaps for the 1988 300zx turbo? I can't find photos of the 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD CV joints anywhere on the net and I know that they're specific to this model only. Does anyone have photos? In the enclosed photos are the two silver CV joints that were sent to me with the 300ZX 88SS Shiro VLSD as well as the left side 1988 300zx Turbo CV joint. The longer silver CV joint halfshaft is the right side, but the groove for the spring clip was very shallow and wouldn't allow the spring clip to sit flush with the spline surface so I ground the groove deeper, to no avail. Any ideas, anyone?

12816_thumb.attach

12817_thumb.attach

12818_thumb.attach

12819_thumb.attach

12820_thumb.attach

you have gone to a lot of trouble and expense,can i ask why you would bother running a VLSD

they are sort of ok for standard performance cars but not up to modified hp,they tend to go open centre as the viscous fluid overheats and changes viscosity and you can't rebuild them

those stub axles in the pic are the correct ones for VLSD....they don't fit anything else

you can confirm if you have a VLSD centre by looking into where the halfshafts go in the diff,you should be able to see a large washer with about a 3/4" hole in the centre that sits between the ends of the 2 stub axles......maybe you don't have a VLSD,i thought all the 88 300zx turbos were clutch pack lsd's(but i am no authority on this)

To tell you the truth, when I bought the VLSD I wasn't really up to speed about the differences between the R200 diffs. Thanks for the info, my diff does have the washer with the 3/4" hole, so it is the VLSD and they are the proper halfshafts. Now if I could only get the damn things in.

I'm running that diff. I find it hard to believe though that the stock VLSD 1/2 shafts will be the correct length. I had to have a custom pair made up, using AMC center shafts because the 88ss shafts were to long.

There was a member "240z Turbo" that did a write up giving all the correct parts to use. It's also possible that this method was used due to the fact it was long before anyone made custom stub axle companion flanges (like what you look to be using) making it possible to now use the 88ss 1/2 shafts as they come stock OEM...

Are the over all lengths going to work for you?

I bought the 27 spline 280Z stub axle Billet adapter companion flanges from Ross at Modern MotorSports, although mine were machined from the stock units not custom that he sells now. http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=46

He also supplied the pdf instructions that describe how to shorten the Z31T half shaft for proper geometry. I tried downloading it but it's too big, if anyone wants it contact me and I'll email it to them.

I'm sure that you've read this thread that gave me a lot of the info I needed. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

The length of the halfshafts seems to be okay. I've looked at your build photos

many times during my build process. How's the VLSD standing up? What are the pros and cons?

To paraphrase Ross at Modern Motorsports regarding his companion flanges and the Shiro 88SS VLSD:

Will these billet adapters work with a 1988 Viscous (VLSD) Differntial taken from a 1988 SS Shiro Edition 300zx (Z31) turbo car and halfshafts? This won't increase the track?

Ross: Yes, they work very well with the viscous axle/diff setup.♥ You HAVE to have the shiro CV's to go with the diff.♥ Any other CV's will not work.♥ CV's etc don't change your track, your control arms and top strut mounting location control your rear bearing housing location ie. track width.

Modern Motorsports 27 spline CV adapters_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I bought the 27 spline 280Z stub axle Billet adapter companion flanges from Ross at Modern MotorSports, although mine were machined from the stock units not custom that he sells now. http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=46

He also supplied the pdf instructions that describe how to shorten the Z31T half shaft for proper geometry. I tried downloading it but it's too big, if anyone wants it contact me and I'll email it to them.

I'm sure that you've read this thread that gave me a lot of the info I needed. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

The length of the halfshafts seems to be okay. I've looked at your build photos

many times during my build process. How's the VLSD standing up? What are the pros and cons?

To paraphrase Ross at Modern Motorsports regarding his companion flanges and the Shiro 88SS VLSD:

Will these billet adapters work with a 1988 Viscous (VLSD) Differntial taken from a 1988 SS Shiro Edition 300zx (Z31) turbo car and halfshafts? This won't increase the track?

Ross: Yes, they work very well with the viscous axle/diff setup.♥ You HAVE to have the shiro CV's to go with the diff.♥ Any other CV's will not work.♥ CV's etc don't change your track, your control arms and top strut mounting location control your rear bearing housing location ie. track width.

Exactly as quoted above...

I have an early 260Z with an RB25det and the SS differential.

You should have a good look over the PDF provided by Modern Motorsports. I used the non-billet adpaters after much dialog with Ross via email. I noted that even after reversing the outer CV joints that there was not much travel left in the CV for suspension movement. My 260Z sits ~1.5" lower than my 240Z with Tokico 1" lowering kit. I have not had any problems with it binding up around hard corners or anything.

As a side note:`

The characteristics of the car totally changed with the LSD. The car is much more "wild" than with an "open" differential. It tends to shoot sidewayz rather than a straight line... I changed where the variable cam timing came on to 3.5K rpm and can get that rear end to light the tires right in the middle of third... Time for wider tires I think.