HybridZ

V belt issue

OK folks I would like some input and posibble pictures of your V8 Z pulley drivebelt setups. Heres the problem I'm having, as you can see by the picture of my setup I have a small V-belt running the crank, waterpump and alt. the pulleys are billet single groove for the crank and WP. The problem is after a couple of spins of the motor above 5000 rpms the belt begins to strech, burn and snaps. Now I am thinking the problem lies in how the alt is fastened. its a march kit with billet mounting bracket and adjustable link bar. Its such a pretty and simple kit that i would hate to do away with it but at this point there is no reliability in it for a long trip. Any suggestions on your setups would be helpful.

thanks,

Johnny from south florida

datsunenginevg9.jpg

w512.png

Just as a side note, I'm using the same March kit and have had no issues.

383BowtiedZ-1-1.jpg

I've been running the same belt for 3-4 years, often 7k+.

Using Dayco TopCog #s on belt:

154301A1090 182

154301A1090 183

192 D3

Mine's not overly tight, check after initial run in, longest run between alternator and crank pully about 1/2 - 3/4" deflection

Also, could you have a siezing water pump or alternator?

Your going to want to use the best belt money can buy for starters, make sure that your belt has the proper tension. About 3/4" deflection on the longest run using one finger and moderat pressure. Make sure the pulles are all exactly aligned. And IMO swap out that alt pulley for one of the big 5 inch racing deep groove pulleys. If your turning your engine 5K or above that alternator is doing like about 9K or better. I run the extra small moroso drive pulley, about 3 inches in diameter on the crank. I have never had heating problems but I don't have A/C either.

Just as a side note, I'm using the same March kit and have had no issues.

383BowtiedZ-1-1.jpg

I've been running the same belt for 3-4 years, often 7k+.

Using Dayco TopCog #s on belt:

154301A1090 182

154301A1090 183

192 D3

Mine's not overly tight, check after initial run in, longest run between alternator and crank pully about 1/2 - 3/4" deflection

Also, could you have a siezing water pump or alternator?

so any three belts you named there will work? which one are you using of the three?

another thing is none of the autoparts locally list those part numbers, where did you buy them from? online, any particular autoparts chain?

I can't remember where I purchased, either Advance auto parts or Auto Zone

I'm thinking the part # will be 15430

Really not that expensive. 7-10$ I just bought what they had.

I had a feeling this wouldn't be clear. Here's image from belt:

zzz_383.jpg

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/DaycoFleetBeltsTensionersPulleys.pdf

page 55.