HybridZ

Has Anyone Tried Messing with a Variable geometry turbo?

AK-Z

Has anyone "tries missing"? Do you mean "tried messing"? You might want to spell check your posts and titles. First word of your message should be "As" not "A".

And yes, there has been at least one attempt at using the electronically controlled vein turbo. You might search zcar.com. I can't remember if I saw it here or there. Of course you'll probably have better luck googling it since you'll get a much larger search base that way, not necessarily someone with a Z.

Here are some threads I found.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=145115&highlight=variable+geometry

http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4

Search for variable geometry or VGT, I believe there is more info on this website, and I am sure there is more out there on the web for other applications (see DSM above, and I saw a reference to a Mustang too)

I tried to start a thread on this, but it ended up going nowhere. Really, the only thing possible to do with it is to control spool times. This could be very interesting to try out, but it will take quite a bit of fondling to get right. I would try it if I had a project car, along with notching my cylinder head.

If I was to megasquirt my car and get one of the vgt Id set it where I can select between say 4 different angles. Getting the software/programs to have it continually adjusting taking in factors of TP, RPM, boost levels, temp, etc, etc would be a nightmare.... just way to many variables.

With say 4 positions you could either set it up for whatever type of driving youd like, quick boost for driving windy roads or high boost at high rpm for drag racing, etc. Or you could some how set it up so it adjusts at certain RPM increments.

Everytime this comes up its pointed out that variable vaned turbochargers are designed primarily for diesel engines as the vanes have difficulty standing up to the higher EGTs from a petrol engine.

Porsche have a variable geometry turbine that apparently cost mucho $ to make reliable, but unless you have one of them (or two) you're probably going to burn out the vanes pretty rapidly?

Dave