HybridZ

Question....

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Now that I installed the clutch for the new T-5 and I put dexron 3 (transmission fluid) it is leaking the fluid...But it never did that before and there is somewhat of a clanking noise whenever I push in the clutch pedal...What's the deal?

"Clanking" noise might be the throwout bearing. Did you grease the bearing retainer? I assume you were running 85w90 before? ATF is of significantly less viscosity and as a result will leak from places that gear oil would not. Could also be you have a higher fluid level now that it is the "right" height or you damaged a seal with the trans out.

I don't know which T5 you are using, but previous discussions here and elsewhere generally lead to this:

Use gear oil for all T5s except the world class versions, which use ATF for their "cone sychronizers". If I have my second-hand information incorrect, please correct me, but I know Nissan recommends 90 weight gear lube for the T5 in the 280ZX turbo.