HybridZ

Painting Diff. - Heat issues?

attworth

In the process of cleaning up my rear diff. I'd like to paint the case itself black, with either Por-15 or Rust Bullet (depending on when I run out of Por-15.) I'll also be painting the non-moving parts of the half-shafts. For the rear cover, I was thinking I'd use some silver high-heat paint. Do yall see any heat issues arising because of this? Would the paint not allow the diff to cool like it would if it weren't painted? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

Diffs don't get that hot.

Uh, yeah they do depending on how you are using them and how they are set up. I routinely boil the Redline lube right out of mine. I would fab a cooler but it is not legal for the class.

Now, normal street driving, yeah, diff doesn't get that hot but be careful on generalizations.

Uh, yeah they do depending on how you are using them and how they are set up. I routinely boil the Redline lube right out of mine. I would fab a cooler but it is not legal for the class.

Now, normal street driving, yeah, diff doesn't get that hot but be careful on generalizations.

LOL, I knew someone would come on and nit pick. :icon45::)

Yeah, in a racing car, sure. Not for anything he's bound to do.