HybridZ

my 71 240z w rb25det... almost ready

RS Speed

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that greddy manifold looks horrible! As for the car--- well simply amazing to be honest- ONe of my favorite Z builds on the site---Also you have been wealth of info to the board so im all about it.

Did you do a retrofit on your HIDs? Cause just to get some sort of light i threw in an H4 kit but would love to do a retrofit when I get some time.

-E

Just slapped the HIDs in initially but its changing soon. Its better than stock but the beam pattern is garbage. I picked up a set of newer BMW projectors from a junkyard with the high beam solenoids, don't know what model though since they were disassembled from the headlight. Im going to shoehorn them into the headlight I have on there now and wire up the solenoids so Ill have HIDs with BMW spec lighting and a functional high beam.

p.s. my manifold rocks, thanks for the complements otherwise :)

Great build man.

I love how super clean it looks.

About the color, since you got carbon fiber parts I suggest you go with blue.

Flat black is awesome but it just hides the carbon's affect.

I'm currently going under with an RB26 swap but its ugly & taking way too long.

It due to being in Kuwait, parts are hard to come by & ordering parts take about a month to arrive...

I admire your work though, whats next on your list?

I'll see if I could snap some pics of the fuel setup but its pretty simple. I was originally going to upgrade to a cell or surge tank but I've had no problems with this setup so I might just leave it alone. Pretty much a feed from the original drain of the tank going to a external pump with pre and post filters. Ran new 5/16 feed and return lines following the the factory hardlines (didn't trust the 40 year old lines). Running a stock RB fuel rail (525cc injectors) which is drilled and tapped for a fitting so I can run an external regulator which returns fuel to the original tank pickup so it puts the fuel back in the bottom of the tank. I kept one vent on the tank and one big line which connects to the fuel filler section and got rid of the factory plastic box in the fender which has a billion lines running to it. So far so good, I just keep the tank over a 1/4 tank and have had no issues yet even at the track.

I was probably one of the last few people to get the OEM rear sump oil pans and pickups. I got one locally at Erics Performance when the whole discontinued oil pump situation happened, I guess I just got lucky when I called them and he had one in stock even though they didn't have it listed.

What size pump are you running?

For the one vent on the tank, do you just leave it open?

I just saw you with the S2000 right? Sorry I was caught up in getting my brake light fixed and when my car needs me my mind is on "fix the car" mode. (ending up being a fuse, I put it a new one which happened to be bad so I was diagnosing crap for no reason, popped in another fuse and it was good to go)

The pump is a external pump that my friend had for his turbo 350z. I had a 300lph MSD pump which died in about 3 months. I was pulled on the side of the road and I remembered my friend had the external laying around so I picked it up for $50 so I can get the car off the road and its been fine since. I wanna say its something along the lines of a 255 walbro inline but its a different brand and rated at 300 lph, I remember it started with the letter "P" lol. What ever you do don't buy a MSD pump....garbage.

The one vent was near the top of the tank, I just ran a hose up a bit from the nipple (5/16" if memory serves me right) then pointed it back down. I figure it will vent from there there even with a lot of gas and there was less chance of fuel spilling out, been cool so far :)

Your car is bad ass. Im building one with an sr20, my s13 has an rb25 in it and im thinking about swapping them so the rb25 is in the z just because of your car.

Why didnt you flip your intercooler upside down have the outlets closter to the top?

The endtanks were an inch to wide so they didn't fit through the original holes in the crossmember. Mounting them on the bottom gave me enough room to swing them in and they look pretty cool IMO. I could have welded 90s directly on the endtanks but I doubt it will make a difference as far as spool in concerned, these cars already have shorter piping than most cars with front mounts.

I'm still confused on where I am going with as far as color in concerned. I might just leave it flat black or paint it one of three colors. GTR blue was my original choice and I've been throwing around the idea of dark silver metallic or dark gray metallic. At this point I'm just sitting on it though, going to get the car running exactly like I want it before I get into paint.

Next on the list is the refinement stage. I just finished up bumpsteer spacers yesterday, I'm considering moving the mounting point of the control arms up on the subframe but I'm gonna see how it feels like this first. I've gathered most of my parts for the rear CV conversion, just waiting on adapters. I ordered a heater core and blower from summit racing so I can make it through the winter lol. Also going to install my MSA seal kit, I was waiting for the paint job but im sick of the wind noise and I will buy another kit if I have too. Lastly I want to install a really good overhead light for the interior, I feel like I'm blind at night Lol.

After that I'm looking to do a turbo upgrade. Something like a gt30r, 60-1, t3/to4e, etc... anything in the 400-500hp range. I'm ready to do the upgrade right now, pretty much waiting to find a good deal so I can justify spending the money :)

Great build man.

I love how super clean it looks.

About the color, since you got carbon fiber parts I suggest you go with blue.

Flat black is awesome but it just hides the carbon's affect.

I'm currently going under with an RB26 swap but its ugly & taking way too long.

It due to being in Kuwait, parts are hard to come by & ordering parts take about a month to arrive...

I admire your work though, whats next on your list?

Hey man, good to finally meet you and see the car in person. Looks great. I will be pm'ing you a few questions soon.

I just realized I looked like a dirty shop rag when you saw me too, hahaha, I had been working on the car all day and was covered head to toe. I just wanted to get out on a test drive so I hopped in the car looking like a homeless kid :mrgreen:

I modified a 240z front bumper. Cut it to length, bent the arms in and welded it up. I deposited a bunch of metal on it and grinded it down till I had the right shape. I'd like to add that I wouldn't have butchered a good 240z bumper. I got it for free, the front was mangled up but the sides were very straight so it only made sense to do what I did. Overall I love how it came out with the grill I made for it.

• 2 weeks later...
I just realized I looked like a dirty shop rag when you saw me too, hahaha, I had been working on the car all day and was covered head to toe. I just wanted to get out on a test drive so I hopped in the car looking like a homeless kid :mrgreen:

Haha no worries man, you still were with a hot chick!!! Your lady friend?

Hey, I actually had a question about your oil cooler set up. I have the same radiator and trying to figure out the best route to doing the lines. I was thinking getting fittings welded onto my oilpan. How did you do yours?

BTW, how much did you pay for all that powdercoating?

I'm still confused on where I am going with as far as color in concerned. I might just leave it flat black or paint it one of three colors. GTR blue was my original choice and I've been throwing around the idea of dark silver metallic or dark gray metallic. At this point I'm just sitting on it though, going to get the car running exactly like I want it before I get into paint.

Next on the list is the refinement stage. I just finished up bumpsteer spacers yesterday, I'm considering moving the mounting point of the control arms up on the subframe but I'm gonna see how it feels like this first. I've gathered most of my parts for the rear CV conversion, just waiting on adapters. I ordered a heater core and blower from summit racing so I can make it through the winter lol. Also going to install my MSA seal kit, I was waiting for the paint job but im sick of the wind noise and I will buy another kit if I have too. Lastly I want to install a really good overhead light for the interior, I feel like I'm blind at night Lol.

After that I'm looking to do a turbo upgrade. Something like a gt30r, 60-1, t3/to4e, etc... anything in the 400-500hp range. I'm ready to do the upgrade right now, pretty much waiting to find a good deal so I can justify spending the money :)

Thats exactly what I'm planning for, finish all the dirty work then get on with the paint. I sure any color you choose will bring the best out of your Z.

right, I like the idea of upgrading the Z to bring it up to date.

might as well install that seal kit & replace it when you decide to paint it.

haha:-o I know what you mean about going blind at night, heres a nice trick i used. I got then bright LED clamp on lights which I must say look very cool clipped on top. I got something similar to this for 1KD =3.4$. http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=40545

before you go on with the turbo upgrade, what have you done to the engine internals & all?

That's the old lady lol, shes quite the catch since she deals with the datsun having as much attention as her but they have to share :mrgreen:. She calls it "dotty" the not so Fairlady lol

As far as the oil cooler you are going to have to run it with a relocation kit or with a screw on oil filter adapter. Either way they are going to be attaching to your original oil filter location. Reason being is you need to pressurize the system with your oil pump to cause flow through the core. Using the pan wouldn't really do anything, no way of oil getting in or out.

Powder coating cost me a whopping $250 although the guy regretted quoting me that much since my whole subframe and suspension is the same color :) I did my friends engine the same way in orange and they charged $250 for just the engine pieces... still not a bad price.

Haha no worries man, you still were with a hot chick!!! Your lady friend?

Hey, I actually had a question about your oil cooler set up. I have the same radiator and trying to figure out the best route to doing the lines. I was thinking getting fittings welded onto my oilpan. How did you do yours?

BTW, how much did you pay for all that powdercoating?

I actually installed my seal kit last night... wish I did it sooner the car feels like a bently lol... well maybe a 91 civic but its a step up from a dry rotted 71 datsun lol

Internals are stock for now, I'm only planning on 400whp on high boost with alky and around 350 street on 91 so hopefully shell last a few years. I tune my own cars on the conservative side so I'm hoping for the best. I ran my unopened sr20 at 300whp for 4 years so I've got faith in nissan motors as long as you are doing your end :)

Thats exactly what I'm planning for, finish all the dirty work then get on with the paint. I sure any color you choose will bring the best out of your Z.

right, I like the idea of upgrading the Z to bring it up to date.

might as well install that seal kit & replace it when you decide to paint it.

haha:-o I know what you mean about going blind at night, heres a nice trick i used. I got then bright LED clamp on lights which I must say look very cool clipped on top. I got something similar to this for 1KD =3.4$. http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=40545

before you go on with the turbo upgrade, what have you done to the engine internals & all?

Haha she sounds like a keeper. Always appreciate a lady that can let her man have his fun too.

I understand what youre saying about the oil cooler and having to run it to through the oil filter location. Looks like I may be doing a relocation kit. Would that have any adverse effects compared to the sandwich plates that just mounts to the old spot? Either way, it seems like a lot of plumbing from the right side of motor to front left corner of motor.

Did you run hardlines to that oilcooler or S/S lines?

BTW, what headlight are those?

That's the old lady lol, shes quite the catch since she deals with the datsun having as much attention as her but they have to share :mrgreen:. She calls it "dotty" the not so Fairlady lol

As far as the oil cooler you are going to have to run it with a relocation kit or with a screw on oil filter adapter. Either way they are going to be attaching to your original oil filter location. Reason being is you need to pressurize the system with your oil pump to cause flow through the core. Using the pan wouldn't really do anything, no way of oil getting in or out.

Powder coating cost me a whopping $250 although the guy regretted quoting me that much since my whole subframe and suspension is the same color :) I did my friends engine the same way in orange and they charged $250 for just the engine pieces... still not a bad price.

Oil relocation kits still have an adapter that screws into our oil filter housing so either way you are screwing something :) I can easily access my filter so I didn't want one but my buddies s14 is using one and its been great. All the oil lines are SS with -an fittings, Headlight are from ebay with a HID conversion.