HybridZ

rear end whining on deceleration

Guest DRK

Did a search but did not turn up much. I have a 78, and the rear end whines very heavily on deceleration. The noise completely goes away and it sounds perfect on acceleration. The fluid was a little low, and I changed it but it did not make a difference. It has been doing it ever since I started driving the car several months ago. I broke the front diff mount a couple weeks ago and built a new setup. It is about the same, maybe a hair louder with my design which is a little more solid. Are the gears just worn out? The car has 128k on it. Maybe I should start hunting for the elusive R200LSD. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Danny

i had that whine in my v8z for almost three years before i finally knocked it out of commission, and thats because after three years i only changed the fluid once. i dont think you have anything to worry about, but having a spare is always good insurance.

Usually (but not always!) a deccel whine is the pinion brgs starting to give up. If you're going to rebuild your current rear, do it pretty soon. If your going to change it out, it will run a good while.

John

change out your tranny fluid. I did a very stupid move...or should I say, didn't do.

I rebuilt the suspension and rear end on my Z, changed all the fluids except transmission (forgot to do that). Next thing I know, I'm driving up bear creek road in santa cruz, and my car starts whining insanely because the tranny overheated. I pull over and let the tranny cool down. Next day I drained the fluid, and it came out thick black crud, about 1/2 liter worth. I then put in the required 1.5 liters of new lube, and it runs like a champ (no whine)

It is a 4spd transmission, and the noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car not the middle. I changed the transmission fluid the same time I changed the fluid in the rearend.

Danny