HybridZ

Differant way to mount 4pt harness?

hogie

For some odd reason the captured nuts for the outside (closest to the door) seat belt bolts on both sides are seized/not structurally sound.

However, the inside edge nuts for the seat belt retractors are quite strong still. Would it be safe to use those for my harness mounts? I would rather not have to rip all of the interior out to weld in new nuts that I probaly wouldn't trust anyways.

I am planning on running the shoulder harness through to the strut tower in the meantime. I know there are a million threads that address how to mount the harnesses, but I dont think any of them relate to quite this situation.

THanks

• 7 months later...

Well I finally got around to mounting my seats and 4 point harness and ran into a couple of snags. The seats are pretty well too wide for the car, but fit snugly. The bad part is the rear strap on the harness is way too long even with the slack pulled out. Is there another way to mount these with the set-up I have and not snap my back?

I know many people wrap there's around a strut tower bar, but mine isnt set up that way. Assuming the car runs and drives fine after I finally get it going I will probaly just by a regular seat belt set from MSA. I just dont like this harness, but it is what came with the car.

seats1.jpg

seats2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has everybody lost sence? Its not save to be mounting the harnesses like that... Wait a sec, that's not a real harness, that cheap ebay crap. You should really have a proper racing harness and a Harness bar in the car to mount the harnesses up. You wrap them around the bar and adjust them to fix your size at the proper seat location.

Has everybody lost sense? Its not safe to be mounting the harnesses like that... Wait a sec, that's not a real harness, that cheap ebay crap. You should really have a proper racing harness and a Harness bar in the car to mount the harnesses up. You wrap them around the bar and adjust them to fix your size at the proper seat location.

Thats one way to put it. NSWTP has a point though, that harness is going to do more damage then good in a wreck, regardless if it's installed correctly or not. And the only way to correctly install a harness is by either a welded in harness bar or welded in roll bar.

Thats one way to put it. NSWTP has a point though, that harness is going to do more damage then good in a wreck, regardless if it's installed correctly or not. And the only way to correctly install a harness is by either a welded in harness bar or welded in roll bar.

Is there a half cage setup out there that has a bar in the proper location I wanna get a nice PROPER setup in place.

Is there a half cage setup out there that has a bar in the proper location I wanna get a nice PROPER setup in place.

Yes, use this for your main hoop, then run a bar from the top of the hoop to the strut towers, then you can either x those two bars going to the shock towers, or weld a roll cae tube between the two, or both.

Here's a good thread to get you started.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=152123

Odd to see so much action in here well after I was asking around in the first place.

The seats are Corbeau GT7's and they have been discontinued. Apparently they can be special ordered from some retailers though because I did find them online. The harness are legit Corbeau harnesses as well, though I suppose that could be considered ebay crap.

When I was digging around on classiczcars and here I found a bunch of people mounting there harness at this point. Obviously, it is not the best choice, but it is better than not having them attached or bolting them to the floor in back.

I am just tossing them in there because its what i have now. The factory belts are toast and/or MIA. After I get the car out and driving I plan on replacing them with the MSA 3 point belts. Until I know the car is good and driveable I won't be throwing anymore real money into it.

Nice find on the videos. Schroth has a ton more about setting up than you posted already. I actually used the second link for how to wrap the ends of my harness. At least I have that in correctly.

This is a very temporary set-up as I really don't like the look or feel of the harness. Not only that, but it is a good way to get a ticket in Indiana if the cop wants to get you.

Yes, use this for your main hoop, then run a bar from the top of the hoop to the strut towers, then you can either x those two bars going to the shock towers, or weld a roll cae tube between the two, or both.

Here's a good thread to get you started.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=152123

Thanks for the info......is there a pre-fabbed half cage that will meet the needs? I saw one on beta, but wanna make sure. I ran the idea of fabricating one through a shop in Savannah and for the price they want i can just buy the beta cage.

What do you guys think?