HybridZ

Cylinder head porting in WA?

WildBill

Info from someone who used to port, and flow heads;

I don't have an answer as to who can do this, but...

The general idea in porting a head is to decease obstuctions to flow. Porting, is understood by most as increasing the cross sectional area, and volume of the port. In a race engine this is good, in a street car, not so good, and can be detrimental to performance in certain situations. Port velocity is very important to engine function, be it a race, or street engine. When port volume/size is increased, velocity is decreased. In a race car this desired, as the engine can then pump more air, and all that is needed is more rpm to get the velocity back. In a street car, the increased rpm needed to feel the difference in flow and performance, becomes detrimental to good low rpm/street performance. So, for a street engine the idea is not to increase port size, but rather to smooth casting imperfection, and to reconture the area around the valve guide and the area leading up to the valve seat. The seat then needs to have very accurate muliple angle's, which match the valve. There are also modifications which can be made to the valve that will help flow, without increasing port size. The extra cost to verify flow improvements on a flow bench, for a street engine, is not a reasonable or justifiable use of your money. Inreased engine performance comes from a lot of other things, which when done, will then be awakend by increased air flow. For a street car, porting a head, is a classic case of the cart before the horse.

Phred

Thanks for assuming a lot, and not helping at all. Go preach somewhere else. And I thought this forum would be more likely to have helpful people who share their passion for cars, and Datsuns. Oh well, I'll just keep moving forward.

Hmmmm. :shock: Take it easy mate.

Thanks for assuming a lot, and not helping at all. Go preach somewhere else. And I thought this forum would be more likely to have helpful people who share their passion for cars, and Datsuns. Oh well, I'll just keep moving forward.

No need fot that, the guy was trying to help, you should keep moving forward I think :icon56:

Where in Washington are you? Im suprised people are unable to use a phone book these days.

If I remember correctly from one of your earlier posts your in the olympia area so a trip down to portland to see Paul (Brapp) isnt impossible.

Yeah thrustnut, who is this "bernoulli guy" never heard of him, probably an idiot... :)

• Administrators

I want to make a few points public here.

Phreds reply to the question is totally acceptable and not only do I agree 100% with Phreds info, his post was EXTREMELY generous in freely offering such wisdom!ave.gif Thank you Phred for sharing your wisdom with us. I for one, as I’m sure many others will agree, are grateful for your time given to share with us. I truly hope you don’t let one persons ungratefulness deter you from sharing in the future. Your information is always welcome here. bgiorno.gif

Wild Bill,

Your reply to Phreds post was out of line. Those sorts of rebuttals are not welcome on this forum!

HybridZ Rule #12;

http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=135&a=2

12. Don't make personal attacks if someone disagrees with you' date=' and don't take advice given personally. Typed text has no intonation, or expression and the members on this board sometimes come off as being rude, or impolite. Generally this is not the case, so please be a little thick skinned when advice is given that you may not agree with.[/quote']

For the rest of you, here is a little friendly advice. When someone is looking for a specialty shop and they display ungratefulness towards advice given, most shops knowing this about that potential customer, will not want to deal with that customer. Not trying to be mean, just the way it is.

Good day,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

Sorry, guys. I apologize to you, Phred for not appreciating your input and help, and to everyone else for not following forum rules. I guess I have to expect more than what I ask for when everyone on this forum is more technically inclined that you find elsewhere. That's why I like this place! I'll go kick myself and bang my head on the wall a few dozen times and ask forgiveness. I was assuming it might be good to have someone familiar with the L6 Datsun do the work, If not, then I have lots of options in my area. Thanks for the recommendations and have a great day!