HybridZ

Yet Another LSD Question

RB26powered74zcar

This has probably been covered but I can't find it so here goes again:

I have a regular R-200 3:36 in perfect cond.

I have a R-200 3:70 clutch LSD

Can the LSD carrier be swapped into the 3:36 to get a 3:36 LSD?

With the 10mm/12mm ring gear bolt issue aside, just swapping the carrier, will this now give me a 3:36 R-200 LSD in perfect cond.?? :D

THANK YOU for your response

Joel

Yes. You will have to adjust backlash on the ring gear, but that can be done with a universal shim kit for a 7 1/2"-7 5/8" GM shim kit in my estimation. If you can get some 12mm od tubing with 1mm wall thickness, it can be cut to make bolt sleeves allowing the 10mm bolts to work in the 12mm case.

Most likely you can swap with no ill effects. I did it a couple of times with no problem before I really knew anything about the setup of diffs. Even used ring gear spacers a couple of times. But I would get a cheap dial indicator and mag base to check backlash. These guys have a base and indicator on sale for about $25 usually

http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=2000409

If it is within spec, go with it. If not, adjust with a universal shim kit, ~$15 from a local diff company. I would have no qualms about running a mild steel tubing sleeve on the bolts in my car. But if you were concerned, talk to Quaiffe, as their diff works with either bolt size so I assume that it comes with reducers rather than being double drilled 10mm/12mm. Tell them you lost yours after buying the $1200 diff. :D

I have not taken apart a Nissan diff completely, but I have setup over 20 GM 10/12 bolt diffs using my T&D Machine pinion depth gauge, and probably 10 more "eyeballing" it. They use a cast iron shim on either side. That is why you must purchase the aftermarket shim set in order to adjust backlash. The cast iron one is obviously fixed width. Sometimes you can swap side to side, other times you cannot. Sometimes they break, or rumor has it. I have added an LSD without changing the gear set like you want to do, and just pulled the old one out and dropped the new one in using GM shims in stock locations. Back lash was within spec. This number varies depending on the gear maker. GM says .005 to .008 while Richmond says .008-.012. Depending on the vehicles usage determines that. I like .002 for a drag-only vehicle. .005 is good for GM gears. Motiv and Precision Gear have similar but slightly different specs. I think I have a Nissan service manual that has specs for the r200 if you need them.

Thank You Mike. I would gladly accept any info that would help me with this task. I haven't taken the R-200 apart yet, but I do have a R-180 LSD on my bench apart.

They look completly differnt in the way the carrier comes out. The R-200 looks to be easier to remove the carrier.

I do have a dial indicator, it's just knowing what to do with it.... :D

Are there any sites to show how to check back lash and gear mesh, that anyone can point me to?

Thanks for all the help guys. 2thumbs.gif

joel

What I'm trying to do here is just swap my 10mm R-200 Lsd carrier into a 10mm R-200 open 3:36 diff.

I don't have diff experince, so the question was, would it be as simple as swap just the carrier in and lube and go. Or do I have to worry about the thing whinning or howling just from a carrier swap out?? :confused:

thanks again

joel

If you will do a search for ring and pinion install on google, you will be swamped. Tons of four wheel drive spots. Might get lucky and find a guy doing the CalMini in the R200 front of his Xterra. They are out there...

Ok Mudge, another $200 then.

The PG powerbrute is made by Tochigi Fuji. Who also makes the Reider Racing diff. Who makes the Nissan diff. Who makes the NISMO diff. Who makes the CalMini diff. And none of them can get it... Calmini quotes $449 and Reider $519. Either way, I would be willing to spend that. Neither can get it. I've been on the Reider backorder list for 9 months (May of last year). I've tried to contact TF directly, but can find no contact info. If I could verify 100% that the Xterrra front diff was exactly like the R200 rear diff, I would order from Calmini and get on their wait list... I had found a guy with an Xterra who said he would ship me his OEM open diff since he had installed an air locker. But it fell through.

Found this post over on www.240z.org of another LSD. Australian guy said he has one in his first gen Z, but the list on the site doesn't show it as applicable. Anybody else familiar with this? http://www.kaazusa.com/

Here are some links to his site. Appears to have RB motor in his car. 2thumbs.gif

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1898&thumb=1

Originally posted by Mudge:

Definately something to look into, only issue is it looks like 12mm only, FWIW.

10 or 12 mm is pretty much a non-issue IMHO, I've yet to hear of a ring gear bolt failure so have no fear of using 10mm setups......I'll make appropriate bushings for anyone in need when that time comes. Just an option and quite a simple one.

WOW! I just spent a few min. taking the carrier out of the R-200 open diff. and could not belive how easy this is. I have the cover off the R-200 LSD that I'm using the carrier out of and it looks like a no brainer to swap just the two carriers.

At this point, I was wondering if I'd be ahead of the game to go ahead and change out the two bearings on the carrier? If they wear like a axle bearing, I think it would be wise at this point.

Since I have not been able to find any pics of these diffs in various stages of tear down, I will take some pics of the two differnt carriers, and what all this looks like taken apart. (minus pinion removal)

I found it interesting how the "shims" look, and how they are placed in the diff....

Pics to soon follow..... :eek: