HybridZ

Scored a used turbo -n $150

What I have had since '94 is a water-cooled center w/70 A/R S3 trim TO4B compressor section with a clipped stock turbine with the stock Nissan turbine housing.

I want to use the ATP Ultimate Internal Wastegate setup, but of course needed a Ford Turbine housing for it.

So I spot a T3 turbo off a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe on EBay, and I look at the pics and say to myself "that looks like a TO4E Compressor Section..."

After searching all over for a good price on a new turbine housing (real Garrett or Turbonetics - no Asian knock offs please) and seeing prices around $249, I figured WTF and put a bid down and won it.

What came to the door today is in fact a water-cooled center section, 50 A/R TO4E 54 Trim turbo, with the stock .63 A/R Ford turbine housing, wastegate/downpipe. I had time before class today to take off the compressor housing and use my digital calipers to measure the Inducer and Exducer diameters to verify the trim.

If I didn't know that the regular wastegate would have boost control problems, I'd almost be inclined to use the Ford downpipe - it's MUCH better than the stock one I have been using with my 3" exhaust.

Add the oil-cooled center section and stock T3 compressor section and turbine wheel shaft from my original turbo, said turbine/shaft may not be serviceable and I can put together a turbo to sell, provided that this is not a big shaft (and since it isn't Turbonetics it probably isn't - the shafts looked the same between my present working turbo and the just arrived one).

Tomorrow I'll see about taking off the turbine housing and seeing what kind of turbine it has (although I haven't seen much on the 'net for gauging trim by measurements, I can at least compare it to the stock turbine that is still on the original turbo.

This will be going back into the '83ZXT that I am currently painting the engine compartment on after replacing half the firewall and half an inner fender panel and battery tray on.

Then it will be some body work and paint, put the engine along with a 4L60E tranny (to replace the T5) back into the car, add intercooler and MSIIExtra and about 18 lbs of boost.

Looking at compressor maps, the 54 is much better than the S3 I already have and maybe better than the 57 for efficiency.

I'm really hoping that the is a stage 3 or 5 turbine in there. With the torque multiplication from the high stall torque converter I have, I can deal with a bit less boost down low if I can pick up more power further up...

We'll see...