HybridZ

tank all gummed up 280z, and 255 question

I have a 76 280z that hasnt ran in over I think 10 years. I took the drain plug out of the tank and nothing came out, then I stuck a screw driver up in it, and it poked a hole through like a quarter inch of black gunk or gripe, I dont think the tank has rust or anything, but this thing had to have like 3 or 4 gallons of 10 year old gas, it was nasty.

What should I do, pull the tank out? can you even get into the tank like a 300zx tank with a intake fuel pump, or do you need to cut it open then welded shut again? I really dont want to buy another tank if I can clean this one out.

Is it easy to upgrade to a inline walbro 255 pump? As mine wont come on, probably gummed up, I didnt exspect it to work.

Your best bet is to take it down to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and coated. I had to have this done to a 76 Celica tank that was coated with gunk and rust. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will tell you its well worth it to not stall out because of clogged filters or fuel lines.

Also the celica had an access panel in the spare tire well that allowed the pump/screen/fuel level sensor to be removed with the tank in the car. I would highly recommend that if you do decide to run an in tank pump you consider doing the same as its nice not to have to drop the tank for a fuel pump/filter change.

Check out http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124229 post #7. Montzer has a really nice setup.

Edit: Realized you said inline pump, I thought walbro 255's were all in tank.

IMO I would either get another tank from Roger at Z Barn for $100 or have that tank reconditioned. Reconditioning will cost more first off what are the plans for the car leaving it stock or modifying it?

If you're modifying it I recommend sending it to Moyer. Here are some links:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123087&highlight=moyer

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=130970&highlight=moyer

I didn't post my thread as putfile.com is still down for "maintenance" and my picture links are broken grrrr..

Quick fix is to drop the tank, remove sending unit, WEAR Thick Rubber GLOVES and GOGGLES, carefully put in half a gallon of muriatic acid, swish around and spill out. Put in another half gallon swish around and spill out. Wash out with lots of water. The tank will be very clean inside. ream out all hose connections with a stiff wire. Reinstall tank. Install a new inline fuel filter between the tank and pump.

I have managed to save two fuel pumps by carefully lowering the pump end of the pumps in some muriatic acid, then rinse with paint thinner. Carefull not to submerse the electrical components. Note, this will only work if the motor was not power cycled to the point of damaging the electrical components.

+1 for muriatic (sp) acid rinse.

I dropped my tank today and did the acid rinse. $7 a gallon at Fred Meyer. Put a half gallon in and swished. Put the other half in and swished again. Acid went in clear and came out yellow.

Night and day difference as far as the interior color of the tank.

Tank actually started smoking and it may be better to diltute the acid a bit. Mine was 20% concentrate. After the second rinse I washed the tank out with water a few times and drained again.

Poured in a pint of HEET (water emulsifier) and a few gallons of gas to get to the gas station. Started right up and and didn't to miss at all, though it smoked white for a few minutes as some water burned through the engine.

If your tank hasn't been out before, be prepared to re-plumb everything and buy new clamps. Took about three hours including several trips to the store.

Yea its a 76, I think im going to cut the hoses to get it out, since its worthless to try to save them, im sure they are all nasty too. Ill take a picture of what is coming out of the tank, looks like hardened lava HAHA. Im sure thats not good.

And yea there are 255 inlines which will be more than I need for a stock turbo and 260cc injectors. Although im going to find the cheapest inline I can, probabaly a stock pump or something that works. a inline 255 is more money.