HybridZ

510 wagon rear axle question torsen related

tinmann55

I have a r180 torsen sold to me as a mazdaspeed part but it cold also be a miata torsen. I am putting a SR20DET engine and SR tranny in my 70 dime wagon. I was going to swap in a 85 GSLSE mazda rear axle because it has a clutch type diff and disc brakes standard. But i have this torsen lsd with ring and pinion.thinking maybe it would be alot less work just swaping in the torsen into the original dime rear axle and then just converting the brakes to wildwood with adapters. Alot less work for an old fart for sure.I know the 2000 roadster lsd will swap in and my question is will the Miata torsen do the same?

The R-Series carriers are different than the H-Series carriers from what I understand. The H is what is in a wagon, the coupes use the R-Series differentials.

It may work in a coupe, which has the IRS rear suspension, but I'm pretty sure it's a no-go for a wagon with the live rear axle. BTW, same axle is in a 521 Truck...

The R-Series carriers are different than the H-Series carriers from what I understand. The H is what is in a wagon, the coupes use the R-Series differentials.

It may work in a coupe, which has the IRS rear suspension, but I'm pretty sure it's a no-go for a wagon with the live rear axle. BTW, same axle is in a 521 Truck...

I'm 99.999999% sure that a H190 detroit locker can be installed in an R190 diff. I've ridden in a 510 that had a detroit R190 installed.

The problem is that the RX7 doesn't have an H190 so far as I can tell (it's listed as 7" which is close to 180mm) and I've never heard anyone claim that R180 parts fit the H190 or vice versa.

I would not think it is any different than R200 parts on / in an R190.

I could see R/H 180's being compatible, I'm just not familiar with anyone who has done it.

This bit of information makes my H233 Frontier happy for the possibility of getting an LSD then!

I'm 99.999999% sure that a H190 detroit locker can be installed in an R190 diff. I've ridden in a 510 that had a detroit R190 installed.

The problem is that the RX7 doesn't have an H190 so far as I can tell (it's listed as 7" which is close to 180mm) and I've never heard anyone claim that R180 parts fit the H190 or vice versa.

Ok, i think that makes sense because the roadster has a R190 and not a 180 so it will not work. Already have a R160 scoobie in my 510 coupe. So i guess i will buy the gslse rear axle and put the torsen in it, for the wagon.Thanks for the help

Not familiar with this. Are you saying that R200 carriers do fit in the R190?

Absolutely not. You mentioned H190 / R190 when the OP was referencing an R180. Like R180 parts don't fit on an R190, neither will R190 parts fit on an R200. Different ring gear sizes mean different parts.

So regardless of H/R190 compatibility, H/R190 parts will not interchange on H/R180's...(or H/R200's!)

I thought my H/R compatibility possibility was clear, and that the ring gear size difference made it incompatible. Apparently not. Don't follow the logic thinking it did, but that is beside the point.

The bluebird guys are all over the nissan solid axle topic.

They should be able to help greatly.

http://aussiebluebirds.com/index.php?board=17.0

Thanks mate for the link but the problem with the Aussie's is we never got utes or comadores or skylines on this side of the pond ,and i can't follow the lingo half the time anyway "bluey" I do speak "Datsport" though and buy from them alot. Bazz & Tracy are good people.

Absolutely not. You mentioned H190 / R190 when the OP was referencing an R180. Like R180 parts don't fit on an R190, neither will R190 parts fit on an R200. Different ring gear sizes mean different parts.

Different ring gear ID means different parts. Theoretically the LSD doesn't care if it is installed on a 190 or a 200mm OD ring gear. That's why I was checking...