HybridZ

Opinions on the value of this car...72 240Z

So I have been looking for an early Z to play around with, most likely swap an l28et into. I came across this:

Let me know what you think this would be worth and if the rust issues would be worth it? It has original l24 rebuilt with 40K miles. Claimes to be all stock.

Cars are worth what someone will pay for it. you gotta ask yourself, what is it worth to me, and will someone else pay more for it. If that number is higher than what the people are asking for it, then you should buy it. it looks pretty sweet, though the rust issues, may be deeper than you think, I'd want to get it up on a rack to look at the bottom frame rails and such before buying it. If it looked like that, w/ that low miles and NO rust, it could be a $5K car easy, if not more. But the rust definitely knocks it down. I would guess $2000-3500 depending on the rust. the rest of it looks really sweet, it would be a prime candidate for restore especially if that hatch is the only rust (doubtful)... So how much are they asking?

Don't go just on the paint either, most major repairs will mean repainting anyway, but it's certainly looking decent.

Phar

weren't those the seats in the early s30's??

idk but, that car is set. pretty GREAT looking 240... if i were looking for a collector car, id like the number too. id pay atleast 5k for that. but that is if the body has never been tampered with... but if it truely has 40k on the dash, it may be believable to have such little rust damage and wear...

$4500??? Ouch! man that's a little high I think. but it's up to you. It doesn't have a lot of the rust problems that it could. and the rest of it looks pretty good. 190K on the chassis really seems like a lot for that kind of cash. I bought my 280 for $300, n yeah it's not as nice, and I have a little pinholing I have to fix behind the rear wheels, but not 4200 worth.

The question is, how much do you not want to have to do a lot of work to it? If you find a cheaper one, will it be in as good condition, no, but again, how much are you going to have to do to remedy the rust issues that one has. I think the guy is smoking crack trying to get $4500, but to me that's a lot of $. if you have the $$$ you could spend that same $$$ fixing up a Z to your liking, if you have the time and patience. it would be yours... have your love in it, and you'd know its weaknesses. or you can spend your $ on this, assuming there's nothing but a little rust. (which is a gamble since you may find more than you expect. it happens)

40K motor isn't a big deal, there's a lot of motors around, some even turbo, for cheap.

It's kinda what are you looking for, what do you want the end product to be. Will this saticfy it? Do you want the project, or just the end result, knowing there's no guarantee?

Look at it this way:

Cheap, Pretty, Fast.

Pick any two...

Phar