HybridZ

The Answer everybody has been waiting for!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...Porsche 930 CV Joints!!!!! This is the key to a very custom and very strong drivetrain! I talked to a guy in california today who deals with VW CV axles and he suggested 930 joints and custom axle shafts. He stocks these joints for $109 an end and didn't want to quote a price for the custom axle shafts though I think they will probably be around $200 each. I have done a bunch of research and found that titaneum isn't the way to go for the stub axles...I'm looking at 4130 Chromoly steel...it is very hard but has enough ductility to put of with harsh launches. A friend of mine has his own machine shop and has offered his services for around $25.00/hour...SCORE!!! Anybody have any favorite shops that would make a set of custom Ford 9" 31 spline input shafts with porsche ends???

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

....I'm so glad you are researching this.... Keep going man... I'm gonna follow everything you do on this rear diff conversion...

Finally someone else to be a test mule..hehehe

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Spencz, great news!

Did this guru you talk to have anything to say about the CV angles you'd be seeing?

Please document all the parts and steps in a tech article when it's done! This has got to be one of the best Hipo mods for the Z!

Guest John Adkins

Spencz,

Weren't you going to use Toronado axles?

How do the 930 joints compare strength-wise to the tornado cv joints?

Just wondering...

[This message has been edited by John Adkins (edited May 04, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

I'll be taking pictures along the way as I have been throughout the whole process thus far. As for teh strength and angles....I said I'd be running around 475-500hp with the static car loading causing the axles so sit horizontal and he didn't seem to think it was going to be a problem. Remember...the 930 is just the designation given to the 911 turbo so it can handle plenty of oomph. Dune buggies use Porsche 930 CV's in their rear drivelines and they have 20" of suspension travel and are running 250hp. With a maximum deflection of +/-16 degrees I think they will live behind my setup....we'll see!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Greg Cohan in our club just sold a red Porsche 930 with a Corvette LT1 engine in the back of it. Man would that thing ever launch but it was scary because you couldn't keep the front wheels on the ground!

It actually fit without any modifications to the body.

I just read an article in a VERY old

hot rod mag from the early 70's.

This guy mounted a 305ci in the *** end of a porsche 911. he used the stock tranny and it ran 10.40s with a low tech 305!