HybridZ

After 300zxt ECU swap how do you set the timing

RUZN

So after I installed the ECU I hear you have to Set the 280zxt Distributor Timing so ignition timing I guess? Can it be done by ear or should I go buy a Light and what should it be set to TY All who have helped with this BUILD!!!

So from what I can tell on Alldata.

1982 280zxt ignition timing is 24o +-2 BTDC

1987 300zxt ignition timing is 15o +-2 BTDC

so should i set my ignition timing for the 300zxt or inbetween both so say 19 or 20o BTDC..

any help or others who have done this Modification let me know ty =-)

The base timing at idle is 20 degrees, it is a good idea to unplug your TPS and cross the two wires with a small wire or paperclip or something. This will put the ECU into "limp" mode and will not try to make any timing corrections. Altough the base timing is 20 degrees I would not be afraid to advance if you have a stock chip, I kept advancing mine by 2 degrees at a time and felt more and more power every time... I ended up running it with the timing mark on the T-cover right over and past the scale on the pulley. It ran great with no ill effects.

So you cant put CPU in limp mode by putting it in the test mode by turning the ECU pin on the side of the unit?

Ok well I'll try her and see what kind of power I can unleash out of her! =-). I know so far theres a noticeable change in rpms and power right through the spectrum which is so nice. So again to all who have helped out I huge ty

The 300ZX turbo has slightly higher compression than the 280ZX turbo so I would guess that is one reason the 300 timing is farther back.

Also the 280ZX ECU is not very precise on the fuel map and runs a bit rich under any sort of boost or anything above 3000 rpm. The richness and low compression fights pre-detonation. (also meant to run low octane fuel) 300zx runs more lean but it is a more proper mixture for more torque and horsepower.

If you're running high octane fuel only then it would make sense that you can run the advanced ignition timing. Listen for pinging though. Also, are you at stock boost right now? I would assume so since you made no mention of other modifications.

I did read that 1988-89 300ZX had a smaller turbo, lower boost, but higher static compression. The ECU supposively pushes timing another 2 deg advanced under boost. You won't have to worry about this if your ECU is truely a 1987 though. 8-bit

Yeah its a 1987 Turbo ecu

Im running stock boost right now which max's that stock guage in cluster at redline so liek 8psi but I have a Manual Boost controller. Hooked in but not using till my intercooler arrives. So yes I run 91-94 octane only good oil. Stock Jpipe right now. but a 1987 T3/T4 AirResearch Stock 300zxt Turbo only difference I see in that turbo is the water cooling which I customed into the coolant system. but yeah seems to be a Bit rich still like its burning to late or injecting just to soon. No ping. so I guess I could advance it then?

With a timing light sure, advance to 24 deg and see how it runs for a while.

Others mentioned they went more advanced. I never have. My old turbo I ran at 24 on premium. I was constantly having boost leaks even though the engine was stock. I wanted the extra protection...

my recent car is a factory turbo. no leaks, all stock right now. I run mid grade but plan to do Z31 ECU (1988) and some other junk. Not sure what I'll do on timing. time will tell :D

I highly recommend you get an Autometer manual boost gauge. They are much more accurate than the factory gauge.

So basically I should take off the Connector to TPS. Hot wire it witha paper clip in the ends and set timing that way? or leave TPS on and just move the distributor cap to 24?

I havent done this procedure so kinda a walkthrough for dummies would be great lol

So I checked it where it was it would only advance through ecu to about 20 with good throttle so turned distributor a bit and shes set at 20 then with about 2500 rpm 24 runs strong no ping no smoke fells great through the RPM range so I think I'll stick with it =-)

Yeah right now as I said feels So much better. My Buddy with a fairly Mod'd Skyline GTS 2.0T got in and he remembers the old version. He could not get over how quick the throttle responce was and wasnt expecting the power through the whole RPM range. Almost got a Ticket 2 mins out of his driveway for doing 0-70kmh in a 50 LOL Cop just came out of Tim Hortons (doughnut Shop) lol.. Dont even have my front fenders on yet Either haha.. Looks like some kinda Hotrods stepchild! :mrgreen:

oh ya Tim Hortons is good stuff. I've only seen them in Canada though. :D

my impression of the low compression L28 turbo is laggy lag lag... That Z31 ECU sounds like a miracle! Only thing better would be slightly higher compression to add more torque and throttle response.

oh its a Miricle lol.. It's liek that Old horse you see on the farm walking around, while the younger horse kinda jumps around and dose crazy wild stuff. Then that old horse kinda walks near a couple flowers and ZAP!! Bee Sting!!! and that Old F*%ker Gets up and friggin goes insane LOL.... Well maybe not Insane but deffinately grumpy LOL some dude in a accord was peeling around after he passed by as I was turning to go his direction thought he was all fast. Saw my no front fenders Z So I was going the same way... waited for the double lane heared his little honda engine that could try try try and all he heared was the sound of a Jet passing by into the setting sun =-)