HybridZ

My Tach was WAYYY OFF...

Mikelly

I have a Mallory tach with rev limitor and shift light built in...I suspected it was reading way funny, so yesterday I went to Pep Boys and bought a Autometer Sport Comp Monster Tach and plugged it in... My car is now reading 1000RPMS at Idle, which means my readings were 500RPMS off.... No wonder my T56 was lugging in sixth gear when the thing was around 2000rpms...DOH! The new Tach is much nicer, no bells or whistles, just a tach and pointer.. anyway, I'll be sending the Mallory off for repairs and then put it in project number two!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

...that's odd. Usually Autometer is worse than other aftermarket gauge manufacturers. Ever tried to buy a boost/vacuum gauge from them? I've seen them sit around 3psi at ambient pressure. Hmmm... I'd say thst's off a bit. Funny side note, the guy at the local speed shop informed me that the pressure reading would suddenly become acurate once the engine was started.

Uh huh, sure it does.

Just my $0.02

-Andy

Well I have had excellent service out of all my autometer guages, and the only guage that has failed me in the last 8 years has been the Mallory unit. All my autometer guages are at least 8 years old and have been transfered from Z to Z.... Just my personal experience... However, the Summit Racing Fuel pressure gauge I have reads 3psi when the car is off...Think I'll Keep the Marshall unit I've been running under there.. I really like the Monster Tach and more importantly it is accurate and easy to read... Only guage I have that isn't Autometer now is the Speedo and it is a programmable VDO unit...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Locutus

I know for a fact that all the electronic gauges are not at zero when there is no power applied. Once you start the car they will show the correct reading cause there is power there. Just a thought on guage accuracy

...maybe the calibration lab at Autometer is just permanently under some extreme high pressure system (causing all the +3 psi error). I guess I shouldn't have been so rough on the old Autometers. I've got six Phantom gauges in my Z bringing my Autometer total up to 10. They all seem acurate and haven't failed yet. I guess the boost gauge thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Don't even get me started on SunPro's....

-Andy

I've heard that some pressure gages might be inaccurate at low readings, but are fine where it counts in the middle of the range. If you are only going to run 10psi, a 15 psi gage would be best. If you are looking at 5psi, and it reads 3psi with no applied pressure, well, I wouldn't trust it until 7 psi or so.