HybridZ

Gotta love California Z car floorpans!

BenJammin

Finally got around to removing the tar mat / sound-deadening material on the floorboards of my '72 240Z (I'm in a slow 'as I get around to it' strip down phase :mrgreen: )

Just fyi, I was seriously discouraged by a '65 Mustang fastback project years ago that just was one layer of rust after another (but that car was from New York).

But with my 240Z (Cali car from day one), I was pleasantly surprised...

cimg1259_resize.jpg

Yeah, looks worse in the pic than it really was, see next ->

cimg1262_resize.jpg

and just after hitting the driver side a few seconds with the wire wheel...

cimg1265_resize.jpg

After looking at this a little closer, that firewall transition is a bit too pitted for me to leave alone. Gonna work it down with a grinder and see how it looks. May have to cut & patch - more pics later.

My signature really says it all !

Doode wtf, is my old 73 Z the only Z with rotted out floors in California!!!

Nope, mine too. My '73 was SoCal only straight from the boat 'til 1997 (when I moved it to AZ) and both floor pans have holes the size of my fist.

But it sat for 16 years so that may be why.

Fyi, I did end up cutting out a small section where I had some pitting. Grinding down the pitted parts looked okay, but I was able to punch thru it pretty easily when I was done with a center punch. Funny, the piece I cut out was 'whole' but it felt and bent like a piece of thin aluminum ! Was porous and thin after the grinding.

As I said before, will post some pics when done. I'm not as fast or motivated as some others here.

Fyi, I did end up cutting out a small section where I had some pitting. Grinding down the pitted parts looked okay, but I was able to punch thru it pretty easily when I was done with a center punch. Funny, the piece I cut out was 'whole' but it felt and bent like a piece of thin aluminum ! Was porous and thin after the grinding.

As I said before, will post some pics when done. I'm not as fast or motivated as some others here.

yeup that sheet metal isnt very thick, im doing the same rust removal process right now. and i too was amazed how thin the sheet metal seems to be :redface: