HybridZ

1988 300zxt power r and penion steering unit

Guest SHARKMAN

Guest SHARKMAN

I want to know if this unit can be used in older z cars. If it can be adapted without to much work involved. I would like to use a chevy pump. My reason for using a chevy power steering pump is simple I already have a couple of them. So if I can use the steering unit from a 1988 or any other year I would have the whole set up. To me wide tires and wheels need power steering. I hope someone will have an answer. Because the SHARKMAN needs all the help he can get.

Guest SHARKMAN

Well I guess there isn't anybody out there that knows of someone using a power rach and penion steering unit from a 1988or any other year Z that can be adapted to my 1977 280 Z. My last hope on this subject is perhaps maybe PETE PARASKA OR MIKE KELLY will be able to shed some light on this subject. Please reply as soon as possible. THANKS

Heh, nothing personal and you're not being ignored :-) I for one just have no idea if it would work or not! If the rack could be bolted in etc. powering it with a PS pump of some sort isn't a biggie but getting the suspension geometry right and getting it bolted in are the biggest hurdles. Personally I've not found the manual steering too bad even with my smaller wheel. I DO get annoyed at the way the bigger tires up front track the road - I have to pay attention and suspect that an alignment to better specs may be in order.

I know of only one Z that has been retrofitted with a power steering unit. Zdr. of Roanoke, Va. installed an RX7 unit in his 72 240Z and it cost him about 100 hours of time and god only knows how much in parts to make it work. This man is a god when it comes to the Z and he told me he wouldn't do another one for less than $1000 plus parts. It was that hard, and that pretty much sold me on leaving the idea alone. Now, if someone with the creativety (Likie SpenceZ Has) wanted to try it out and had access to fabrication tools, you might be a pioneer in that area. I'd love it if someone came up with something on this topic!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I saw a Z that had a Power steering R&P

retrofitted from a Chevy II front end.

Required welding mounting points to the Z's

front crossmember so that the rubber "doughnuts"

on the Chevy R&P were used. Also required some

custom fabrication for the tie-rod ends,

but I don't remember the details. Obviously,

you could use a Chevy pump with this set-up,

but I think he was using a Nissan one (stock

L6 engine). The Chevy II parts are pretty

commonly used for Hot Rods and kit cars, so there

are a lot of aftermarket parts available.

You know what? Now that I think about it,

I'm pretty sure it was a Mustang II rack

& pinion. Hope I didn't "steer" anybody

wrong. (sorry about that)

Paul

Originally posted by pricher:

I saw a Z that had a Power steering R&P

retrofitted from a Chevy II front end.

Guest SHARKMAN

Thanks guys for the answer. It's not the answer I was hoping for but,atleast now I know. I got this idea originally from reading one of TERRY OXINDALE'S articles. He installed a for thunderbird power rach and penion unit. I thought sense he was able to use that rach maybe it wasn't such a big deal. But I guess I was wrong,Anyway thank's for the reply's guys. If you do happen to hear of someone who came up with and easy way to do it remember to let me know. It sure would be nice to have. THANKS GUYS

SHARKMAN, no idea how to do this. Even when I had 225/60-14s on the car with bad bumpsteer, it wasn't that big of a deal to drive. A little weight lifting goes a long way smile.gif. No seriously, I've never though it was needed and would be concerned that I'd give up some of that "connected-ness" that the Z imparts to the driver.

Regards, Pete