HybridZ

Fan Clutch Good or Bad?

My engine recently overheated and shut off. As I got it started after it just died, my friend held down the fan blade with his fingers and it didnt move at all.

my question is, how do you know if fan clutch is bad?

Was my fan not working because my engine overheated? or did my engine over heat cause my fan was bad.

I was also wondering if anybody has ever done the MSA electric fan conversion. I would like to see if they like electric better than the regular.

thanks

As norm on zcar.com says: "If you can stop your fan with a TV guild, you need a new fan clutch"

I've never been sure if he meant "TV guide" or not, but if you can stop it with your fingers when the engine is hot, you need to take care of that!

I've just been through the conversion to an electric fan, and really, it wasn't worth the effort in my case.

If I were you, I'd install a shroud from a later Z and just replace or rebuild the fan clutch. http://www.hammondsplains.com/newtechtips/cooling/index.htm

When the engine is cold, the fan should freewheel on the shaft, when the engine gets hot, it should get harder to spin. It has to be pretty hot though.

A lot of people think the fan is bad even though the car overheated while driving on the highway. The fan clutch only should be engaging when the motor is starting to overheat in stop and start driving, eg in a traffic jam. if you overheated while cruising the fan isn't at fault. If you are only overheating during stop and start driving, then you can check to see if the fan is the cause by using duct tape or whatever to keep the fan from freewheeling. Then if the car no longer overheats, you know it's a bad fan clutch.