HybridZ

steering wheel/ shaft the same for 240-280s?

Troutman

i recently purchased a nardi wheel with an NRG quick release, but received a MOMO hub, which is a bit too tall. (i wanted the NRG short hub) the hub NRG makes says it only fits 74-83 260/280s. (and a few other nissans as well) i asked their tech support and they said it would not fit a 240. Did nissan actually change the shaft dia./ number of splines between those generations?

Thanks

Todd

i contacted NRG again and this is the response i received

"All we have from previous install and test notes state that it did not fit when we tested the part.

That is all the info we have for you at this time"

the only thing i can think of is; given their design of the hub (over all thickness)... once the hub is placed onto the shaft that there arent enough threads visible for proper engagement of the nut.

granted the only way to find out is to buy one and try it out. however im not one to waste money on personal R&D of others designs. still you would think that a reputable company would give you a better response than "it doesnt fit"

I took my grant wheel and adapter form my 280 and bolted it right in my 240Z

With your Grant adaptor and wheel in your Z, does the horn work? I stuck a grant adaptor in my '72 240Z with a different wheel and the horn tab is a good quarter to half in away from the surface it needs to contact to make the horn work. The problem is with the adaptor, not the wheel. I did use Grant's 3592 adaptor too......

Baffled......

Greg

• 1 month later...
i contacted NRG again and this is the response i received

"All we have from previous install and test notes state that it did not fit when we tested the part.

That is all the info we have for you at this time"

the only thing i can think of is; given their design of the hub (over all thickness)... once the hub is placed onto the shaft that there arent enough threads visible for proper engagement of the nut.

granted the only way to find out is to buy one and try it out. however im not one to waste money on personal R&D of others designs. still you would think that a reputable company would give you a better response than "it doesnt fit"

Update for This Thread-

The NRG short hub for the s13/14, 200sx,etc does work with modification. I received my NRG short hub 2 days ago and after pulling it out of the box had my doubts as to whether or not it could fit. After some test fitting I discovered that the hole is too small.So I just bored the hole from a 5/16 to a 1/2 and it fits very snuggly with the addition of a spacer. I will snap some pictures for those interested later today.

• 2 weeks later...

Soundmasterg-

You may have solved your horn issue by now, but if not, you can easily bend the horn contact tab enough to provide good contact with the copper ring on the the Grant adapter hub. Use some dilithium grease (or any good lube compatible with electrical contacts) to ensure smooth movement between the two contact surfaces.

Good luck and happy motoring.

jhm