HybridZ

Stainless Gas tank straps for 240Z

I will be making a set of SS gas tank straps for my 240 and am curious if anyone else is interested. At this point I have no idea on cost but will work it out soon.

Basicaly they will be stock "like" but in SS.

They are no longer available from NISSAN....and I dont believe anyone else supplies them.

Any interest?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have new new pieces laser cut at one end and bent and welded at the other. The straps width will be near identical to OE so they fit within the gas tank indents and all chassis connecting point.

The plan is to make them as close to stock as possible.

Are you going to make new end pieces? The part that holds the bolt?

Will it just be SS strap of some sort? About what thickness and width?

Here are a few pics of my first attempt....Will install the tank tomorrow and post more pics....

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0413.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

All parts are SS and tig welded.

The straps are the same width and thickness as OEM .

The L brackets are heavier than stock.

The other end is made in three layers just like OEM but Tig fused all the way around....not spot welded.

jerry, they look great. you have an idea of price yet?

Thanx David!

Not yet....this was the prototype I cut it by hand. It takes way too much time! I will get a quote to laser cut the parts and then the only labor will be welding....

And besides, I need to confirm fit.

Thanx for the interest guys!

jerry, 2 observations from my non-engineer brain. for the welded parts, do you feel it necessary to run the welds from front to back or could you save time & $ by using less weld. second, take a look at the angled end when you mount the tank to see if they want to straighten themselves as tension is applied. they might need a small reinforcement on the side to prevent this. hope my explanation makes sense.

what are you doing for the "j" bolts?

Agreed on both accounts, makes perfect sense.....Less welding would save huge! Im not convinced all this welding is required......the OEM had a few spot welds.

As far as a gusset goes....thats why I used a much heavier material than stock. 1/8"

All comments are appreciated!!!!!!

As far as the J bolts go....I have a set from the aftermarket...looks like stock. I gotta see if I an find more. May be good to include them with the straps. Good point!

jerry, 2 observations from my non-engineer brain. for the welded parts, do you feel it necessary to run the welds from front to back or could you save time & $ by using less weld. second, take a look at the angled end when you mount the tank to see if they want to straighten themselves as tension is applied. they might need a small reinforcement on the side to prevent this. hope my explanation makes sense.

what are you doing for the "j" bolts?