HybridZ

TIRES AND RIM SIZEs

fl327

hey yall,

what kind of tires are the best to go with on 240z 1972 with 300hp and 300+ tq?

right now i have the 280z mags on mine with some 205/70/14s and i have the worst time launching known to man. i want to get some nice 16 or 17 inch tires from 5zigen or momo

or something like that, does anyone out there know the proper offset and lug fittage

as well as the maximum tire that will fit a stock 240 without rubbing. my car is lowered about an inch on all sides.

anyone out there, i need to hook up harder, help me pleeeeas. thanx guys.

I'd take a serious look at the Bridsgestone RE730. It has one of the best bang for the buck ratings in the performance tire industry right now. Super soft, yet good tread wear rating for a Z rated tire. I hear NOTHING but good about this tire and will consider it when I swap to 17s...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I went the cheapo route and slapped a set of Nitto Extreme Drag Radials (205-55-15's) on the small 14" mags on my Z. I am very impressed with their performance! I can flat out wood the loud pedal from a stoplight eek.gif

BTW, my ride calculates right at 300 horse and is lowered like you had mentioned of yours. I went five rounds at the dragstrip the other week with these tires until a rain out in the semi finals. I ran two in a row dead on dial in's leaving off idle and floorboarding it.

I'll know soon how well the tires work when i try out a 100 shot of juice as soon as the streets are dry and i have a little time wink.gif

RickB

76 280V8

quote:

Originally posted by RickB:

I went the cheapo route and slapped a set of Nitto Extreme Drag Radials (205-55-15's) on the small 14" mags on my Z. I am very impressed with their performance! I can flat out wood the loud pedal from a stoplight
eek.gif

BTW, my ride calculates right at 300 horse and is lowered like you had mentioned of yours. I went five rounds at the dragstrip the other week with these tires until a rain out in the semi finals. I ran two in a row dead on dial in's leaving off idle and floorboarding it.

I'll know soon how well the tires work when i try out a 100 shot of juice as soon as the streets are dry and i have a little time
wink.gif

RickB

76 280V8

yes, i have about 300hp and 300tq

and i find it very hard to launch , so difficult,which really doesnt matter much when im racing hondas, acuras, mr2 and other four cylinders which i know i can compensate

for lack of launch for raw power

but when i line up with the stangs maros and 300zxtt the launch matters more,

do you think some meaty sixteens will work

like a 16x7 of some sort fit into the wheel wells nicely, i need some fatter tires and tighter rims on this guy....

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

I'd take a serious look at the Bridsgestone RE730. It has one of the best bang for the buck ratings in the performance tire industry right now. Super soft, yet good tread wear rating for a Z rated tire. I hear NOTHING but good about this tire and will consider it when I swap to 17s...

Mike

will 17s fit on a z??

if so how big would the tires be on that combo????

Update on the cheap route (90$ a piece Nitto DR's on the current 14" rims)...

I now have a 100 shot of nitrous wired and hooked up on top of a 350/small cam/performer intake/Carter carb/HEI/header equipped ride with a 700R4 automatic. This combo is probably good for 300 to 320 w/o nitrous.

While the 16" or 17" rims would look great and would be a plus for many reasons I can tell you that I hook up VERY well with the little 205/55/R14 Nitto's for less than 90$ a tire!

I tried out the nitrous on a new stretch of dirty concrete and hooked well and was able to floorboard it from a dead stop and get into the nitrous within a car length!! It flat works...

My car is lowered slightly, has no rear sway bar though it does have a fat aftermarket sway bar up front and poly bushings all around.

I run consistant 13.0 quarter miles on these little tires. From a stoplight I can whip cars that ET quicker than me at the track cause my car works...period. I don't have to have ideal conditions...geez, the tires even work good in the rain!

Have fun Fairlady...the only car that tried me today was a Honda boy...they really aren't much fun frown.gif , though they seem to want to play quite often and the V8 cars don't even notice me rolleyes.gif

RickB

280V8

[This message has been edited by RickB (edited October 29, 2000).]