HybridZ

Fire is a BAD THING....

Mikelly

A few weeks ago I suffered a minor fire in the rear of my car. I wanted to pass along a word of warning about "The Insulator" insulation matting... the stuff can be VERY flamable and should only be used inside the car, not on the outside. I had used some of it on the underside of my rear deck between the fuel cell, exhaust and the rear deck to help with sound and heat. I had also used the matting on the inside of the trunk as well. During fillup at a gas station I had apparently had a slight mist of gas get on the matting between the cell and the exhaust. I paid for my gas, went to the restroom, and came out and got in my car and started to leave the station... and noticed a smell of something burning. I looked back into the hatch and noticed a bit of smoke coming through by the battery box... I backed the car up away from the pumps and got out with some water and doused the flames I could see, then got an extinguisher and hit the whole area for good measure. Then I drove the car up the street to a car wash and hosed the whole rear underside off real good and then drove the car home. No damage to anything but the wire running to the fuel guage, but it could have been much worse. I'm currently looking into the NASCAR/ NHRA heat barrier stuff you bruch on and I'm also looking at the "Phoinex" brand and a few other fire systems to install in the car while I'm re-doing the project over the winter. I caution all of you guys to re-evaluate your cars for safety. I didn't think I would have an issue like that, but I did, you might to!

Safe driving!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Glad to hear no damage Mike. I also have my extinguisher nice & close to hand... Can't help but be a little paranoid when one has made so many mods....

Ross C's point about the wrap is interesting. I was at a club track day last w/end where a nicely prepped MR2 turbo went woof. It had header wrap... I wonder. Didn't get a chance to talk to the owner (he was OK, but probably didn't feel like talking). The fire was, I think, limited to the engine bay. It may not have been the wrap, though. But boy it was crowded in there. Lotsa stuff that woulda got very hot...

I got a buddy that built his own experimental

aircraft in his garage. Really cool deal, but that is a different story. He also has a 71 corvette Stingra with a 454 and side pipes... He used this avaition grade heat shield like stuff on the open pipes of the airplane to keep the heat in the right place.

It is not a wrap, but more like a plyable sheet. It looks like layers of tin foil

with matting in between.... He also used it on his vette and it works really well...

It is very expensive but may be worth looking into.. since it is not a wrap

it will not keep moisture or heat in, just keep it from spreading to places it is not

supposed to be...

Myron