HybridZ

My 78 turbo 280z is DONE! ! ! !

TommyZ

Thanks to the help of everyone on this fourm my turbo 280z is done and running better I could have imagined...here are some before and after pics....

8 months ago when I bought the car

datsun1.jpg

And now 04/28/09

PIC_0874.jpg

PIC_0880.jpg

PIC_0882.jpg

PIC_0883.jpg

Its been 8 months of non stop work but here it is ..Its was all worth it..First thing I took off the bumpers and intalled a front air dam with 240z lights then I did the suspention. Eibach springs tokico shocks, along witht the bump steer billet spacers. I changed the wheels and installed 16 inch enkie 92's. I installed smoked light cobers and 5% tints and removed rear louvers. Next I went to the interior installing 350z seats, floor mats, and hatch mat. New full dash cap , streering wheel,shift knob,doorlocks,pioneer cd player. and fixed a/c.Then I went for the engine swap.. I installed an 83 L28et and t5 with a hurst shifter. Engine has new berings rings, and oil pump, p90 head was sent to machine shop for valve job. Then put all back together with all new gaskets. T70/t3 turbo full 3in exhaust magnaflow muffler, n42 intake manifold ported ,240sx tb , racetep fuel rail,bosh pump new -6 fuel lines , 550 simons deka injectors ,front mounted intercoooler ,hks bov,Haltech fuel comp, msd 6al, custom 4 puck cutch,r200 rear end 3:54 final gears..lots of other mics parts This setup is good for a safe 350hp to the wheels and over 400tq .everything works.. all interior lights gauges wipers, everything even ice cold a/c...

Great build up! Great looking car! When you installed the 350Z seats did you have the cat converter hump in the way? when I installed the 350Z seats, I had to massage that hump down quite a bit so the drivers seat would fit. Planning on coming to DNI? Would be nice to see that thing in person!

Great build up! Great looking car! When you installed the 350Z seats did you have the cat converter hump in the way? when I installed the 350Z seats, I had to massage that hump down quite a bit so the drivers seat would fit. Planning on coming to DNI? Would be nice to see that thing in person!

Yeah it sucked to bang in the hump but there is no other way... once I welded the rails the pasenger seat went right in but the driver seat was a mission.... I'll post pics of the int when I get some time... and yeah I am down to meet with any fellow z peeps and show the car...I am in miami ,fl Just let me know....

Nice car.

But, a T70???

That compressor is so big that it would be to the left of the surge line for the entire power band. Does it boost at all?

I dont know if I posted it right Its a T70 front housing with a T3 .63 rear housing with a 38mm external waste gate.. It comes on hard and super strong from the bottom.. Here's a dyno sheet of this set up in my old car a 74 260z That I sold two years..The kid who bought it blew the head gasket and went with a v8 swap , so I bought everything back....lucky me...

its a little small but here it is ..It dynoed 292hp and 331tq to the wheels AT 10PSI and it was a hot hummid day here in south Florida 88 deg and 90% hummidity I dont think you can read the number but look at the power and tq curve from the beging..from the moment I stabded it the tq was over 300 pounds..

dyno-1.jpg

I am sure its a T70 front with a T3 .63 in the rear... I know that I am @ 18psi by 3,500 rpm's in any gear , I dont fully uderstand what you mean by surge. I have an Idea but If iam @ 18psi of positive manifold pressure how is that surge?

ok, here is a T70, 2.8 liter engine, 18 psi of boost, 3500 rpm max boost.

http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/graph.php?version=4&pr0=1&pr1=1.07&pr2=1.64&pr3=2.22&pr4=2.22&pr5=2.22&pr6=2.22&pr7=2.22&airflow0=3.1&airflow1=10.9&airflow2=17.4&airflow3=24.5&airflow4=30.6&airflow5=34.4&airflow6=37.1&airflow7=37.9&product_id=72

if that red line is to the left of the surge line then the turbo should surge.

It just doesn't make sense that compressor would work on a L28. But, it is working for you so hard to argue that.

I dont know if I posted it right Its a T70 front housing with a T3 .63 rear housing with a 38mm external waste gate.. It comes on hard and super strong from the bottom.. Here's a dyno sheet of this set up in my old car a 74 260z That I sold two years..The kid who bought it blew the head gasket and went with a v8 swap , so I bought everything back....lucky me...

its a little small but here it is ..It dynoed 292hp and 331tq to the wheels AT 10PSI and it was a hot hummid day here in south Florida 88 deg and 90% hummidity I dont think you can read the number but look at the power and tq curve from the beging..from the moment I stabded it the tq was over 300 pounds..

dyno-1.jpg

DNI is may 23rd. It is In Reynolds GA. We will have a meet N greet at the hotel on the 22nd. For more information click the link. I really hope you bring that awesome Z to the meet!!

http://www.dnidrags.com/

It is most likely a .70 AR T04S housing rather than T70 cast into the compressor housing which could have a number of different compressor wheels machined to fit. A friend recently replaced a similar turbo on His RB25, T04S .70 housing with a 60-2 wheel and a T3 .63 exhaust with a stage 5 wheel, it was replaced with a T04S .70 housing with a GT37R compressor wheel with a .70 T4 exhaust with a P trim wheel.(which will get your full attention at 24 psi). My setup with an L30 stroker motor uses a TO4S housing with a T67 compressor wheel and a .82 T3 exhaust housing with a P trim wheel .