HybridZ

rebuilding 280zx turbo halfshafts

73240z

Hey guys,

I need to rebuild both my left and right halfshafts and have been experiencing trouble finding a shop/company that will do reliable work on them. The place that most autoparts stores have recommended says they weren't sure if they would be able to rebuild them and said I should ship them in first so they can determine if it would be rebuildable.

My question is: Is there a place someone can recommend that will be able to rebuild both left and right halfshafts? They are the 280zx turbo cv shafts.

I have searched the forums and have not had much luck, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Do NOT, repeat NOT, send your axles to Rock Auto. Several folks here have fallen for their 'We'll rebuild and return your axles' line. Ask me how I know. What you get back is regular 280ZX axles which are too long. In the end I got back one turbo axle and they lost my other one. My advise would be to either rebuild them yourself, or find a shop in your town that will really rebuild the axles you take in. It may be cheaper to just find another set in a junk yard or on Ebay.

SSflyer,

Thanks for the heads up. That was one of my worries that I would not get back the same ones I had sent in. I don't really want to take that chance because it took me a long time to find the halfshafts that I already have.

Does anyone know of a good shop or place that they have used or would recommend?

Thanks,

John

I did see that thread before, but I was hoping to have someone professionally rebuild them and service the cv's. I do need to replace the boots, but I wanted to get everything nice and newly redone. If it comes to rebuilding them myself, I will definitely use this thread.

Thanks.

You should be able to find a local cv rebuilder. Atlantic Enterprises is located here in SC and rebuilds for many of the big name parts houses like Advance Auto. They are happy to work with individuals and do good, one day rebuilds for about $80.00 but the shipping would kill you.

• 5 months later...

I know this was thread is a bit old, but I just came across it.

Motorworks Ltd in Belvue Washington is a great resource for stuff like this. The owner is Duane Bender and he is the president of the Z Car Club of Washington. He has done tons of work for me on my Z and I turst him completely. It it is possible, I am sure he can do it. He is currently working on a custom Z showcar for a customer that is AMAZING. He has the ability to machine custom parts. One of the really cool thing he is working on for this show car is struts that hold up the hood and allow you to eliminate the hood spring.

Contact info:

Motorworks Ltd

425-453-7082