HybridZ

Wiring Harness Blues

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK, gentlemen, now that you've put thousands of dollars into your 1970 vintage vehicle, how you you deal with 30 year old wiring? I'd like to rewire the whole thing but it is a daunting task. Plus I'd like to install relays to take the loads off the signal and headlight switches that burn out so often with the stock 240 setup. Kit car wiring kits? I know it is imossible to get wiring harnesses from Nissan (I've tried) and have never seen any replacement harnesses from teh aftermarket either. Whadaya do?

Guest Anonymous

Responding to my own question. I see from earlier posts taht the Painless system seems to be popular. How Much? Worth it? How many circuits needed? Any better suggestons? I have a 1971 Z that is waiting for a Ford 5.0 EFI conversion and it would be nice to make it spic and span. How about adapting the Mustang harness?(nightmare city, likely!)

I am also doing a V8 Z conversion and I will probably go for an aftermarket harness soon. In addition to the companies mentioned, try looking in the street rodding magazines (the ones that deal with very old cars) and look for a system that covers each accessory you want to incorporate in your ride. I have heard good things about Painless, although I have heard they are pricey. If you do find a significant price range between companies, please post them.

Thank you!

David

I used the 18 circuit Painless (don't believe it!) harness along with the Painless dash harness on my car. Overall I was very pleased but keep in mine I have some variations. First, mine is a kit car and so the lights are different. Also, I have a custom dash so I mounted the fusebox above and behind the dead pedal instead of in the center.

It was really quite straight forward to install with the only thing driving me nuts was the wiper motor. Nissan uses a relay in a weird way so I ended up not using the relay and I only have two speeds (low & high).

The Painless manual is pretty good too but you will need the factory wiring schematic.

I like the fact that the Painless harness is already wired to the fuseblock and all the wires are color coded and labeled with plastic tags. Although Ron Frances wiring is not already connected to the fuse block it is color coded and labeled right on each wire.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys! Any more input out there? I've read Pete's article on his signal light fix and the tech article here on the headlight fix...what have other people done? Do most of you stick with the stock harness or do most of you upgrade to an aftermarket replacement harness??

Guest Anonymous

I am slowly re-wiring my 240 with wiring/connectors/parts from an 84 turbo parts car I had. I kept all the wiring, matching connectors, relays, etc, etc. from it. It's superior quality to stuff you get from auto zone et. al. and **** , it's even nissan(I said that just for mike!). smile.gif

The only major undertaking I've done is the rear lights(Because they died!). WIth the box of wire it was real easy. The 300zx bulb sockets even fit in the 240 taillights, so I have nice new non-corroded sockets.

Parts were free, and it only took me 3-4 hours to re-do the rear lights entirely and run them up front and hook into the switches.

Beats buying the overpriced generic pre-made stuff - mine fits perfectly and I know it's better quality - everything is soldered, no cheap parts, etc, etc. It's good to go for another 30 years and it's still all nissan(hi mike! smile.gif)

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Dr. Graham,

I have installed the 5.0 mustang engine and T-5 transmission in my 74 260. The wiring for the engine, and computer is completely independent of the datsun wiring. I used the wiring harness out of a 1993 mustang. The engine and computer harness from that year is easily separable from the rest of the mustang harness. I am using the factory 260 harness for lights, etc...

Make certain that you acquire the proper computer for the transmission set-up. You cannot use an auto tranny computer with a stick. Also make sure you get the harness that goes to HEGOs, and that you get all the relays (fuel pump, WAC, ...)

Good Luck

Dan McGrath

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Dan. I'm using a 1990 5-0 engine and tranny which I believe was the same year engine you used. why did you go with a 93 harness and computer? Also, how did you adapt your speedo?(maybe this discussion should be moved to the Ford board...).

I'm toying with the idea of using the instrument cluster from the 'Stang and taking out the 240 dash entirely. I have a Factory Five Cobra constuction manual that shows how they use the stock mustang stuff and it gets you thinking. I'm putting in a roll cage anyway and it might be easier to fabricate my own instrument panel (tho' I loooove the swoopy 240 dash...)

Morgan - great idea! I wondered about upgrading to more recent 280 or 300 z wiring/switches. How many of the switches (especially combination switches) would be a bolt-on, do you know? Anyone tried this? I know Pete uses a 280 signal switch in his fix...

By the way, does anyone have an idea how much a 240 dash weighs and whether a significant amount of weight could be saved by ditching it?

Dr. Graham,

I am using the 1993 harness because the 1989 harness that came with my engine had been butchered, and I found a complete pristine 1993 harness for $50.00. I am using the 1989 computer. I installed the computer in the glove box. It fits perfectly( cut a hole in the right rear of the box for the connector).

As for the speedometer, I regret to say that I have been driving for six months without. I have researched the issue though. Most speedometer shops can make a custom cable that is datsun onn one end and ford on the other.

The dash is extremely light, and you would be hard pressed to make one that is lighter. I have replaced my gauges with Autometer Sport-Comp units. The 5" monster tach fits perfectly in place of the stock unit, and the 2-5/8" oil, temp, fuel gauges fit perfectly in the three center holes.

Good Luck,

Dan McGrath

Speaking of wiring blues, does anyone happen to have a schematic for an 83ZX turbo? I'm trying to combine a 71 harness with a turbo's harness and a little TEC II thrown in for good measure. It has turned into a nightmare to say the least! Thanks.

Joe

Same as SpeedRacer. 19- cirucuit Painless harness, it really was Painless!

Fuse box mounted in same place as Speed Racer too. The kit is colored and coded so you should have no problems. There are also wires for speakers, power windows and power doors, third brake light, etc. Bought from Summit and got a $50 rebate for some reason.

Well worth the money.

Car is 73 240Z, BTW.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html