HybridZ

Z31 MAF burnoff question

Hey here was something that has come to mind. I'll be swapping my turbo motor and my harness over to my 76' 280Z very soon here. I've converted the harness to use the Z31 ECU/MAF/Chopper Wheel. Anyway I had no problems with the setup in my 83' 280ZXT, but I was wondering what can be done about the S30. Since I believe it doesn't have a speed sensor there would never be a switch to activate the MAF's burnoff cycle which can eventually cause buildup on the wire and false readings, etc. I was wondering what can be done about this?

• 3 weeks later...

Auto self cleaning is only need if you don't getting up to speed too often (I beleve it's above 40 mph, not certain). If you are running above the speed limit on a daily basis you don't need it, the wire will get hot enough to do the cleaning at highway speeds.

I really like it. I liked it so much that I actually bought another board. Since I'm putting together a 76' 280Z and I got the MSA downpipe which has the bung for the larger Zirconia O2 sensor I opted to put a Nistune board into an 89 Z31 N/A ECU and use my 86T ECU in my Z31.

Anyway for the price and what it allows you to do I really like it. I've never used MS, but you can pretty much tune everything. You can set your base idle ignition timing, monitor maf voltage, temperature, speed, rpm, etc. You can fully customize your fuel and timing maps, custom set idle/startup enrichment, cold start timing advance and more. Some of the features I like and I think MS has it. Is that it's compatible with Wideband O2s. It can add the info right into your Nistune log and even record and map your O2 values into a table then you can compare each cell with the A/F and what your ECU's set a/f ratio is at and adjust as needed. When it's all done you can keep logs and do log playback to watch for anything you may have missed or watch to see where a problem is occurring.

Hey man, thanks for the real world feedback, I will be sending out my 88 NA JWT ECU to get it done. I currently have to run a 17 deg base timing to keep from pinging at a max boost pressure of 15 psi. I would love to push that up to 20 deg and trim the timing at the higher boost range and see if I can push it to 20 psi.

• 1 month later...

The heater circuit is not hard to wire into the harness. Ask Clark which wire to run. I just pulled the harness and put an additional wire to the MAF, no problem. But if you have a JWT system, don't they sell a cobra MAF and a Ford Lightning MAF for their systems?

Also, since you are looking at the heater wire, ask about the check sum operation of the ECU and how that is connected. One of the things about the 88-89 ECU is that they wil stay powered up 5 seconds after you shut the car down. The ECU will CHKSUM the program and store it, so if you go to the store and get something and are in and out, the ECU will keep the same program and run it in stead of learning the setup all over again.

Anyway, Clark can help you out.