HybridZ

Anti stall dash pot?

I just removed mine, one less potential vacuum leak imo. I believe its too keep the engine from stalling if you wind it up and let off suddenly back to an idle... i could be way off. My L28 does just fine without one, after fixing vacuum leaks thats is :D.

That dashpot is only installed on manual transmission cars. It is there to keep the revs from dropping too much between shifts by providing a slight resistance to the throttle linkage as it returns to the idle position.

The reason that you never see them hooked up to vacuum is because they aren't supposed to be hooked up to vacuum. The "nipple" on the dashpot is there to allow air to escape from the back of the diaphram while the unit is resisting the linkage's return to idle. If you apply vacuum to that port the dashpot will be retracted at all times, rendering it useless.

Without the dashpot installed you may notice that your RPMs drop below idle for a second or so before returning to normal idle RPM... this happens on my car every time I press in the clutch approaching the end of my driveway.

But to finish the original dash pot issue, I don't think mine ever worked because when I checked the actuation before removal, the rod inside the vacuum pot only made contact with the throttle when it was at the top (or bottom) of its' stroke, that is when the throttle was already closed.

Hijack; Other vehicles like Porsche, SAAB, Volvo and BMW use Bosch fuel injection.

I was at the junkyard and saw a Porsche with an air regulator on it but neglected to pull it as mine was working.

Was being the operative word; as mine sprung a leak and started sucking oil I just replaced it with a ZX regulator which I sealed up with fresh glue.

My point is I am wondering what the latest years of vehicles which came equipped with these Bosch air regulators (10-20 years old vs. 30 years old might make a difference).