HybridZ

Hobart welders???

Miller makes about 80% of every hobart welder out there, according to my buddy who works for Miller. He actually prefers the hobarts, as they are often cheaper that the equivelent Miller machine!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree , I had a harbor freight mig and tig worst investment i ever made. I ended up selling both.

Now am looking for a hobart handler 187 and a millermatic 140 tig im going to do things right this time so i dont have to buy another welder...

I managed to find the tig welder and im picking it up tomorow, so now its back to craigslist to find a good deal on the mig. problem with hobart is... no one sells them... its like they buy them and never sell them the ones i see for sale are all 5-15 years old... no one really selling a new one... but im guessing that goes to show how much the people who buy them like them...

I looked at a used Hobart cybertig a couple months ago. Sweet welder and he only wanted $500 for it. Water cooled and totally programable. Made our Lincoln tig master, and the Esab seem like toys. However it is an industrial unit uses about 90 amps of 220 volt 3 phase power. We would have to bring in a bigger power source or maybe have everyone in the neighborhood agree to shut down their houses when we decided to stick something together. :( So whaddayathink?

Hobart 185(need to check in the garage) here, and it works well. Happy with it. Only wish it was infinitely adjustable voltage like my dad's Miller. I can't complain though, because of what I paid for it.

That's the only issue I had with the hobart I used when my miller was down, otherwise it was great.

Both Miller and Hobart are made in the same factory.

Millers gennerally have copper wound transformers whereas Hobarts have aluminum windingas.

A few other things are done with Millers that make them better for duty cycle and longevity, such as metal casings and better rollers etc.

Not much difference in price, but I went for an MM175 back in 2001 and haven't looked back.

Hobarts are good machines also.

I just feel that Miller/Hobart gives better customer service to us little guys than Licoln does, based on all the research I did before my purchase.

HTP makes a good MIG too.

The only advice I can give to someone buying a MIG that will withstand manufacturers' preference issues is that go with a 220 volt unit and not a 120. The difference in duty cycle and capability is far more than the small increase in price.

At current levels we're talking 140 vs 180 as compare to 135 vs 175 when I got mine....

TRUST me - the small amount of difference in price makes a HUGE difference in capability and enjoyment.

I went so far as to get a permit to add a 220 volt circuit to my garage (and at the same time a couple more circuits in my basement for my woodshop) and haven't looked back.