HybridZ

Question on 02 sensor wire

The O2 sensor wire harness on my 280zx L28e is badly corroded and I need to splice another one that I got from the junkyard. The wire has an insulation wire that is wrapped around the main wire. What is the best way to splice these together? Can I just use a regular connector and forget about the insulation wire? Or do I need to solder them together? The O2 sensor warning light in the cluster is on. Any input is appreciated.

Rey

The sheilding is there since the signal is a small one from the O2 any other Electomagnetic interfearence would not give a proper reading to the ECCS system. if you want take something Iron/Steel based and put that wire inside it.. something like say a tube of some sort just around engine bay cause Magnets like IRON! and they wont go after your signal hehe.. thus the sheilding is a Silver coloured metal.. prolly steel of some sort

What magnets are you talking about?

I dont think putting it in a metal tube would be beneficial. If there is a magnetic field present from who knows where, you can get an induced current in the wire, which wouldnt be huge but if the signal is as small as said it may be a problem.

Well, I tried splicing another wire harness I got from pick n pull and was careful not to have the shielding wire touch the main wire. Sensor light still on. I tried another harness , which I had laying around but no changes. I tried soldering and wire connectors with the same result. The O2 sensor is brand new and even switched the old sensor to no avail. Maybe Ruzn has a point about the electromagnetic effect. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. Question: Does the sensor light in the cluster necessarily mean the O2 sensor is not working when lit? The car runs fine and even passed smog in CA just last month. Warning lights in the cluster just bugs me.

Rey

The ZX "Sensor" light does NOTHING with relation to whether or not the O2 Sensor is good or bad. It was used as a reminder to bring the car in to be serviced at 30,000 miles. Disconnect the green/yellow lead under the glove box. It will go off. Leave it disconnected. This is per the Factory Service Manual.

There have been numerous posts made about this circuit.