HybridZ

94 Honda Accord transmission

jasper

Any one have knowledge on these auto transmissions??

Loses all drive after 1-2 minutes after cold start. Code 15, mainshaft speed sensor (I don't think this code is relevant to current problem). Any info would be helpful.......Thanks

I should be able to help you with this problem, I just need a few more details. When you say it loses all drive, do you mean the tranny starts slipping, the car dies, or what? Code 15 is typically distributor problems, either electrical, or the seal inside lets oil seep in from the head and shorts things out.

Just let me know...

I know far too much about these transmissions. My G/F has a '96 Accord auto and she is on her third transmission. We took out her first transmission, put in a used JDM prelude auto tranny from a H23 motor and it crapped out a seal and needed a rebuild. I also had a '92 accord with an auto trans that had tons of issues. Can you describe more of how the transmission reacts when driving? When you shift out of park into reverse or drive does it clunk or engage the gear hard? Is it leaking any fluid at all, out of the axle seals or drainplug or anything? Does the car seem to be "searching" for the right gear when going around corners at relatively low speeds or just at low speeds does it hesitate to shift up into 2nd or 3rd? Does the speedometer & odometer work?

Her Vehicle Speed Sensor also died at one point...I assume that is different than the "Mainshaft Speed Sensor". I only ran the code with a scanner and since hers is OBD2 it told me what was wrong without giving me the code #, or I didn't look for it. I guess yours being a '94 its OBD1?

Thanks for the replies.

After cold start, slow/slips to engage drive. Then drives normaly for a minute or so. Then NO drive in forward or reverse. (Engine is fine)

I jumped the 2 terminal connector under the glove box. "D" then flashed 1 long,...5 short. My snapon scanner trouble shooter claimed code 15 to be mainshaft speed sensor circuit related.

This is repeatable. I inspected the internals of the TCM....Ok (91-93 had burning resistor problems)

Fluid level is good. I suspect a pressure problem. Clogged filter??? (not accessible) Line pressure solenoid problem ??? I'm also told that the solenoid "packs" have their own seperate filters??? Trans is filled with Dexron 3.

Thanks for your help

Okay buddy I checked with the automotive website and here is what I found for you.

Hi all, I need some help w/this car. Original problem: cust barely made it to our shop. No drive any gear. Car cooled

off, pulled into parking area OK. Warmed up car again, no drive. Tested line pres only, very low 45 dropping to around 10 psi. Assumed the car had bad t convertor but if so overhaul would be in order o remove metal shavings. Also possible pump problem.

Overhauled trans, no apparent damage, just cleaned up some metal and replaced a couple of worn needle brngs. Replaced the convertor w/ a rebuilt 'HO12' from APD Parts. After work same problem, also noisy trans and conv locking up killing eng @ times. Car not driveable. I assumed I made a mistake and overhauled it again, still found nothing, carefully inspected regul valve assy per factory book, perfect. ALL valves seem free and like new. Inserted ms into torq conv, could not turn at all without turning the whole conv. Decided then : bad reman conv.

Requested another reman conv (a Honda 1 is 500+ $), installed trans a 2nd time w /2nd conv. Car drove fine 5 mi, then same problem. No drive any gear. Coasted to sidewalk, after siting 2 mins made it to shop, lost all drive again.

After cooling works for a few minutes. Assembly was done carefully following the Honda svc manual to avoid mistakes.

I think it's a bad convertor but would like to hear from anyone who has been there. Am I missing something???

Thanks in advance, Rick... (sorry about the VIN )[/b]

Updated on Feb 12, 1999 6:37 AM

Thx for all the replys. Most indicate poss clogged cooler or strainer. The cooler was flushed at 1st ohaul, is now bypassed to be sure;same problem exists. Car is ok 5 mins, then no drive any gear, no slipping in the interim. The strainer was replaced at 1st overhaul but not the 2nd time I went through. I only ran it maybe 15mins after 1st o/h and didn't think it would clog that fast. No metal on magnet, no trash visible. I'm thinking it's ok until the fluid gets warm & thin, at which time the the stator needs to push on the regulator valve to have sufficient line pressure. Since the first reman convertor was locking up, it doesn't seem that unreasonable. Also this is exactly how the car was acting when the customer dropped it off. I have a new $500 Honda convertor sitting on my desk but am reluctant to put it in without being sure. My BIG question is: is this how this car would act w/ a bad convertor? specifically I'm thinking one way clutch inside convertor is not allowing a reaction against the stator shaft. Thx in advance, Rick...

Rick Young

Owner/Technician

Westside Automotive

Marietta, Georgia, USA

FIX posted on Feb 18, 1999 6:42:59 AM

FIX: Another New filter and HONDA OE torque cnvrtr. Like many of you said, the FILTER was clogged. I overlooked this the 2nd time I went through the trans, thinking a new filter would be fine after only 15 mins use, in a transm that looked clean on dissasembly. It apparently was clogged by the aftermarket convertor that didn't even make it around the block before it began locking up. (everything was clean & cooler flushed the 1st time). Also installed an aux filter in the cooler return line in case our flush job missed anything. THANKS for all the helpful replys. Rick...

Thanks for the info, Howler and King. Westside auto's description fits the symptoms to a T, and also fits with my diag.

Only problem is.......You have to remove the trans and split the cases to replace the filter.

Not looking forward to pulling the trans....Thanks....Tommy......

And NO..........Jacking up the RAD cap is not an option.