HybridZ

Removed fuel rail, questions about injectors...

Challenger

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

I pulled my fuel rail to check injectors and install an aluminum rail. I had noticed the two injectors looked different and this is what I found. One is "missing" the black tip, is it supposed to have one? It is also a different color, does it look like a replacement or is there anyway to check if its the right one? Im pretty convinced its a replacement but dont know if everythings ok.. This is on my 81 turbo.

Last picture was an accident, looks kind of cool. :)

IMG_2523.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey-

I can't see the photos since they are blocked here at work, but if you are missing a pintle cap it will affect the spray pattern of the injector. As far as the different colors go, that won't matter if the Bosch part numbers are the same.

The different colors are done to automotive customer specifications and can use the same injector or a different one. What is key is the part number being the same.

Yeah, the thing is I cant see any part number on the light brown ones....

And the spintle cap isnt missing on the black one, thats how they are stock. But my dad did manage to drop one of the injectors on the tip and crack it. So Ill need to replace that ones for sure.

• Administrators

The 5 injectors are OE, probably the original injectors.

The one odd ball is the new style "replacement" injector. If you purchase a set of new injectors from say MSA, that is the injector you get.

That odd ball injector is NOT missing the pintle cap. It never had one nor was designed for one, not too mention the pintle cap wont fit as the metal outlet is already almost the same OD as the plastic pintle caps OD.

Note that I said "almost" the same OD. With these new injectors, if you are reusing the old lower O-ring, it may not seal 100% allowing a vacuum leak at the injector. The old plastic pintle cap will cause the O-ring to take a set of larger diameter, thereby not sealing 100%. Depending on how old and stretched the O-ring is will determine the severity of the vacuum leak that you will now have, even tot he degree of a very loud whistle and that cylinder will not run at idle. :wink: I just went through this exact situation last week installing a complete set of those new replacement injectors on an L-28. 3 were howling loud whistles when fired up, so much of vacuum leak, those cylinders would not fire at idle and boy-howdy was the whistle LOUD!.

I STRONGLY recommend that brand new OE style injector lower O-rings be used with those new style injectors. :2thumbs:

My quick and dirty fix for this situation was to use a generic small diameter O-ring on-top of the factory O-ring in an effort to compress the stock O-ring vertically which causes it to slightly squish out sideways sealing it against the injector and manifold, waa-laa, no more vacuum leak. Worked perfectly in this situation. I have no idea how long that will last, but it is a temporary fix that will get your car back on the road long enough till the new O-rings show up. :wink:

Hope that helps,

Paul

So Braap what do you reccomend? Ive got the one replacement injector, 4 stock ones that look to be in good condition, and one with a broken spintle cap. Should I just replace the one with the broken cap with a similar sorensen unit then have all of them cleaned? I tested the resistance on them and their all in the mid 2 range, all pretty close.

• Administrators

So many variables and then add each individuals interpretation of what "acceptable" is and well?... shrug.gif

If they are all flowing similarly, the spark plugs are showing the same burn color, then I would just run them as is. Run em till they die or start leaking externally. :wink:

As for the cracked pintle cap? Cracked is generally OK. It has a lip on the top so the O-ring will hold it on, i.e. it wont get sucked into the engine. I recall running the OE injectors without the pintle caps back in the day, (I think the injectors tighten down enough to squish the O-ring for a good seal.) You could also hit the wrecking yard and start pulling injectors looking for a good pintle cap.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

• 5 months later...

People use the old o-rings when installing injectors? For heaven's sake why?

The things are like $3 for the whole body/tip set!

That being said, there's always RTV I guess...

I love the wordshifting. "Pintle" becomes "spintle"... this is up there with 'irregardless' for me. I must restrain myself when talking on the phone to someone who has continually referred to them as 'pinticle type injectors'... It makes it sound like a groin-based part. "My pinticles itch..." or "Dear, may I see your Pinticles?"

I digress...