HybridZ

Who can test cams to read their duration/lift?

Careless

Hi,

I got a set of stock cams, not sure what motor, but I think R32.

I also have a set of HKS cams that are no longer made. They must be real old (because they have the original HKS cam gears that are no longer made anymore... not the new girlie purple necklace charm ones they make now)... I was wondering if I can get them tested somewhere to verify their duration and lift.

I think they are 262/9.5 or something like that.

They are also for sale just cause I don't need them, so they will go super cheap (cam gears not included, I like the old ones and I'm keepin'em!). They are in excellent condition. I will be cleaning the lobes with super-fine 0000 steel wool later today and coating them lightly with machine oil. Right now i'm looking for key words to google search for to find a local place to classify the cams.

Thanks!

Raff

You can test the lift with a dial indicator and some V blocks. Set the cam in the blocks and rotate and measure the lift, then multiply by 1.5 which is the rocker ratio for the L series. If you have the HKS specs and they are far enough apart on lift from one to another that should be enough to find out which grind it is.

thanks Jon, I have a dial indicator that is fairly accurate and sturdy, and some spare wood that I can use to cut some blocks into and lightly sand smooth + add some drops of oil to facilitate rotating and allow the cam surfaces to remain unscathed.

however, RB26's do not use rockers, they use a cam on bucket-shim style valve train... I would not be multiplying anything here, correct?